GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Flywheel still on after 2 months on Jackstands

Default Flywheel still on after 2 months on Jackstands

So I posted about 2 months ago that I blew my clutch and decided to change everything since I was going to drop the tranny anyways. Everything went well with the transmission removal except for a stripped Torx bolt which we easily cut off with a sawzall. I then figured out that a special tool is needed to remove the flywheel bolts from the engine itself. well 2 months later and a couple of bent torx sockets, I finally ordered the specific tool for my flywheel from AST.com. It arrived yesterday and I was so excited to finally try this thing. So the sad part is that the specific tool still does not fit. The Torx T50 will fit but it needs to be an impact socket and as the shaft moves along towards the 1/2 socket, it turns into a hex. I am having my dad grind the edges off the hex so the socket will go in more. I just wanted to express my frustration with this. I know some of you have gone through similar problems.
    Michael Lee Zafra Uy

" If you aint first, then your last " by Ricky Bobby

If the flywheel is the same as the 540 and I guess it is, Autozone has the torx bit. The torx bolts stay with the flywheel after loosening.

Also remember not to apply loctite when you bolt up. The V8 flywheel bolt holes on the rear flange do not penetrate the flange so there is no concern for oil leak. BMW recommends oiling the bolts before tightening.

'01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

Hey thanks for the reply. It is very helpful. Unfortunately, The flywheel on the 3.0 V8 is different from the 4.0 V8. I only know this because I ended up buying the BMW114-180 T60 tool and does not fit at all in the hole provided.

So I finally found the tool specifically made for my car part #S1054TX T50 shown in the bottom

The problem I am getting is that when the shaft turns to hex from circle, it does not alow it to insert more which is needed for me to get to the bolt head. Thank you though. That is a great picture of the flywheel. Where did you find it? I am trying to find a pic of the front of the flywheel but nothing yet.
    Michael Lee Zafra Uy

The flywheel came with the 6 speed conversion package. It is now on my 540.

'01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

Those pictures are awesome. The flywheel looks exactly like that but the plate with the holes stops the tool from reaching the head. I have one of those tools too but I need a high impact drive because I think the person that had it before me put lots of Loctite on it. My dad just shaved the tool and will be trying it out later today. Hopefully get it off. Thanks again for the advise. Goodluck with the 6spd, that sounds great.
    Michael Lee Zafra Uy