GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bavarian Autosport High-Performance Ignition Coils

Default Bavarian Autosport High-Performance Ignition Coils

Are these worth the $$$$ ? They're ON SALE! $332.95 ON SALE! $332.95 ON SALE! $332.95 ON SALE! $332.95 ON SALE! $332.95 ,lol... On top of some Denso Iridiums? Huh? Huh? Well?
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Gimmick

Default A question for you...

Are you having ignition related problems now??? My guess would be that unless you've heavily modded your engine, a hotter spark really won't accomplish anything. As long as their is a spark in the cylinder to ignite the air/fuel mixture, that's all you need. I'd look elsewhere to spend the money.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
    1991 535i

where can i just get some boring oem coils for sale? Seems like i may have a couple shorted... since theyre $60+ a piece i might as well get these

1995 BMW 530ia/3.15lsd/M Parallels/Eibach/Bilstien/Magnaflow

the BAV ones come with plug boots too.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Quote Originally Posted by Robert K
    Are you having ignition related problems now??? My guess would be that unless you've heavily modded your engine, a hotter spark really won't accomplish anything. As long as their is a spark in the cylinder to ignite the air/fuel mixture, that's all you need. I'd look elsewhere to spend the money.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
    1991 535i
    I don't think i am.Car starts right up and ideles smoothly.My curiosity was raised when they said you would feel a difference.I was planning on changing plugs anyway and when i saw these in their Christmas mailer it got me wondnering..

You'd feel better if you spent it on colorful wiring sleeves instead Then stick an ///M sticker on each boot.
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

if your coils are still the original ones, then you will feel the difference regardless if you get stock or BAV coils.

HOWEVER... they are much less expensive than the OE coils, and because of the modified output will not last as long.

that being said, i will get them when i get new injectors.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Quote Originally Posted by BillionPa
    if your coils are still the original ones, then you will feel the difference regardless if you get stock or BAV coils.

HOWEVER... they are much less expensive than the OE coils, and because of the modified output will not last as long.

that being said, i will get them when i get new injectors.
    So the OEM Bosch which i can get for a little over $450 for the 8 would last longer and performance wise not really leave anything on the table when compared to the BAV Performance set costing very nearly as much?Or do the BAV performance coils in fact allow for some added pep?

the iridium plugs have a much smaller electrode than a standard plug, this does a couple of things.

allows a minor increase in displacement with a minor decrease in compression.
    allows the flame to propogate better because the electrode isnt in the way.
    allows the fuel to get to the electrode better because the electrode isnt in the way.
    decreases the voltage requirement of the ignition system to generate the same spark power.

the greater efficiency of the small electrode increases power a bit (a percent maybe) while simultaneously decreasing the amount of fuel needed to combust with the air.

you throw in a high power ignition system, and the effects wont be as "intense" as with a stock ignition system, because the ignition efficiency has already been increased a fair amount.

for a stock engine anyway. if you have forced induction, nitrous, or have very cold air intake due to winter conditions, then more ignition energy, combined with a colder plug (if needed) would allow a bit more boost without backfire or knock, or greatly improve startup of a cold engine with freezing air.

i was the only car able to start up no problem in the dead of winter in minnesota on the first try, every time. the optima batt helped tough, heh.

all that said, iridium plugs and high output coils improve fuel efficiency, increase power, make you car start easier, reduce engine temp, blah blah.... but not much, and their relationship isnt as synergistic on a stock engine as with a heavily modified engine.

the amount of time the bosch coils would theoretically outlast the BAV coils by doesnt in my mind justify the extra $130, so the BAV coils are a better buy.

either way, if your coils are 12 years old, all new ones will feel really good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast