GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bavarian Autosport High-Performance Ignition Coils

?
    fcp groton ( i know we don't like their thrust arms here...) will sell 8 bremi (IIRC) coils for 240, shipping included. those things are at least 1 lb each. some people might be spending too much on coils....
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Quote Originally Posted by BillionPa
    the iridium plugs have a much smaller electrode than a standard plug, this does a couple of things.

allows a minor increase in displacement with a minor decrease in compression.
    allows the flame to propagate better because the electrode isn't in the way.
    allows the fuel to get to the electrode better because the electrode isn't in the way.
    decreases the voltage requirement of the ignition system to generate the same spark power.

the greater efficiency of the small electrode increases power a bit (a percent maybe) while simultaneously decreasing the amount of fuel needed to combust with the air.

you throw in a high power ignition system, and the effects wont be as "intense" as with a stock ignition system, because the ignition efficiency has already been increased a fair amount.

for a stock engine anyway. if you have forced induction, nitrous, or have very cold air intake due to winter conditions, then more ignition energy, combined with a colder plug (if needed) would allow a bit more boost without backfire or knock, or greatly improve startup of a cold engine with freezing air.

i was the only car able to start up no problem in the dead of winter in Minnesota on the first try, every time. the optima batt helped tough, He.

all that said, iridium plugs and high output coils improve fuel efficiency, increase power, make you car start easier, reduce engine temp, blah blah.... but not much, and their relationship isn't as synergistic on a stock engine as with a heavily modified engine.

the amount of time the bosch coils would theoretically outlast the BAV coils by doesnt in my mind justify the extra $130, so the BAV coils are a better buy.

either way, if your coils are 12 years old, all new ones will feel really good.
    Wow,thanks. I nominate this for Post of the Month just for its thoroughly concise and articulate composition
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

i would doubt FCPG sells bremi, as the cheapest i can find new bremi coils with boots is about $380.

also their ebay page doesnt even spec a manufacturer, and only says OES supplier, which generally means its NOT the same as the one that was originally installed in the car (OEM), but rather is a compatible model that is NOT aftermarket and carries the same bmw part number.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

bma has bremi for 48$, and bosch for $57, and fcp groton's retail store has bosch for $48 and bremi for $64. i don't think its inconceivable that for an 8 pack of them (and i know bma/fcp/et al were selling them individually for 35-43 in 2004) that they drop the price down to 35$. i asked fcp who their supplier for a 6 pack in 2004 was and they said bremi, the ebay pic looks like a bremi coil. if you can get them to guarantee a supplier for the ebay pack, might be a good deal.

ps....autohausaz has bremi for $43+$5.88 for boot and bosch (all inclusive) for $45. all prices before shipping, ymmv.
    Last edited by ryan roopnarine; 11-14-2006 at 08:46 PM.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

a hell of a good deal at that.

the picture is actually of a Bosch ignition coil.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Do we need to replace the coils periodically like oxy sensor? every 100k miles?
    The reason i ask is because my car never starts right up. When I turn the ignition, it sounds like cha..cha..cha..cha...wroom. I replaced the spark plugs and still the same. New coils?
    (SOLD) 92 525ia M50 | NGK plug | JVC AR560 | EAT chip | California

they are basically transformers. they dont last forever. they can be tested like any other transformer with a multimeter, but you need to test both coil windings.

i would suspect something in the fuel system first. try running Techron injector cleaner for 2 or 3 tanks of gas and see if that does anything. also make sure your fuel filters are changed at regular intervals.

most service intervals are when the component is at MINIMUM operating standards or below. performing the service ahead of schedule will add to the maintainence of the car, but it will perform better. like brake fluid flushes and fuel filter replacement every year, rather than every 2 or 30K is just a plain good idea.

also you are in california and i think your gas has been poisoned with ethanol, so thats just to be expected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12