GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oxygen sensor test with out lifting the car

Default Oxygen sensor test with out lifting the car

Hi All,

Is there a procedure to test oxygen sensors with out lifting the car.

Thanks
    Arun
    530i / Nikasil M60 3 Ltr Motor / ZF5HP18 (A5S 310Z) Tranny / Prod: March 95 / Fully stock / 95K miles

Are you pulling a code?

Quote Originally Posted by 92E34
    Are you pulling a code?
    Yes the code is lambda code 1212. I know it does not directly point to Oxygen sensors but neverthless I want to eliminate oxygen sensors by checking and making sure it does not mal function.

Thanks
    Arun
    530i / Nikasil M60 3 Ltr Motor / ZF5HP18 (A5S 310Z) Tranny / Prod: March 95 / Fully stock / 95K miles

Default How often replace ox sensor?

I hope the following is related to this thread.
    I get conflicting information on replacing sensors. Only replace when there is a code? replace at 100,000 miles?, or replace at 60,000 miles?. One school of thought is to replace a bit early as they get "lazy" which affects gas mileage and performance.

Mine has been in for 77,000 miles and gas mileage has perhaps dropped 1 mpg. There were no codes last time I checked with my Peak.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

I would like to know too. I am only getting 20mpg for my 92 525ia with 70highway/30city driving.
    (SOLD) 92 525ia M50 | NGK plug | JVC AR560 | EAT chip | California

I used to work in a repair shop. On the wall from bosch it said: Replace Heated O2 sensors (4 wire) every 100,000 miles.

As for the O2 sensor removal without lifting the car...well...forget it. I'll look through my books to see where it comes out so you can test it. The other thing you can do Alpinewhite, is park your car over a ditch or find a place somewhere that you have enough room to crawl under the car.

Search the net. You'll find info on testing the oxy sensor. Basically, you need a electronic scope and set it to continuous mode and measure the changing resistance from the oxy sensor while the engine is running. You should see a wave form. Regular ohm meter won't work.
    (SOLD) 92 525ia M50 | NGK plug | JVC AR560 | EAT chip | California

do it every 60K

they do get lazy as they age, and if you have any iffy fuel problems like a blown fpr, leaky injector, horrible vacuum leak, they will age faster.

if you have had issues like that in the past, they could already be affecting the sensor output.

if your sensors were replaced and you still get that code, it could be the heater relay for the sensors or a vacuum leak, or failing fpr, failing pump, bad MAF, etc etc...
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Quote Originally Posted by BillionPa
    do it every 60K

they do get lazy as they age, and if you have any iffy fuel problems like a blown fpr, leaky injector, horrible vacuum leak, they will age faster.

if you have had issues like that in the past, they could already be affecting the sensor output.

if your sensors were replaced and you still get that code, it could be the heater relay for the sensors or a vacuum leak, or failing fpr, failing pump, bad MAF, etc etc...
    Good question. So, can a lazy o2 sensor cause intermittant hesitation and surging at say around 2000-2500 rpm, (no other symptoms,- good idle) without throwing a code?
    My car,,,95 525, 81k.

yes, it can change the effective fuel mapping, although your car probably has VANOS and the pressure unit could cause that when failing. usually it wouldnt be so intermittent if it was the O2 sensor.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast