GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: e34 M20 525i manual tranny noise

Default e34 M20 525i manual tranny noise

Since 2 days now my tranny is making a wierd "meeeeeeeer" noise when i ingage the tranny in first gear or reverse. I already looked through the forums but couldnt REALLY find a good answer. The seal between the engine and tranny is also leaking quite a bit. When i let go of the clutch slow when the car is cold, the sound get pretty loud, like when the fan belt is loose. As the car gets warmer the sound becomes less, almost to the point where you cant hear it. What could this me? Flywheel? Throwout bearing? Clutch? Pressure plate? does the tranny need oil? Sort of lost with this one. The car drives fine, but Im worried im wearing something. Thanks guys!
    1990 BMW 525i m20 SOHC 5-speed 140k miles, black on black, stoc
    http://www.born-today.com/Today/pix/tyson_m.jpg

MAN WHAT?!?!...

Everyone has to go on U-Tube and watch mike tyson interview

the noise also happens very slightly when i pump the clutch pedal, but not as bad as when I engage. Today when I came home from work though, I had the noise, but half way on my way home, it was gone......any suggestions would be appreciated

MAN WHAT?!?!...

Now the noise happens also when I am in neutral with the clutch pedal depressed, and when I let go, it goes away. Again though, once the car is warm, its all gone

MAN WHAT?!?!...

If it only happens when your foot is on the clutch pedal, it's most likely the clutch release (throw-out) bearing. Have you ever had to replace the clutch on the car? Now's a good time.

sounds like one of the bearings (pilot or throwout). You are best off dropping the trans, replacing both bearings and the clutch and pressure plate. Also, with the trans off is a perfect time to replace the rear main seal and kill that oil leak.

How long can I drive like this would you say?
    I cant do **** for the next 3 weeks because of school, but I need the car. Is it safe to drive?
    Yeah, it felt like the throw out bearing to me too. Ive had to replace one on my dads old 78 diesel benz. Not to bad. The clutch has never been replaced so I guess ill do all that too. Should I put stock pressure plates and clutch back it (same with flywheel also) or upgrade this **** while im at it. Anyt suggestions. And yes for sure, i want to get rid of those damn oil leaks. Suck a annoyance, you have no idea. Never being able to park in driveways cuz your gonna drip everywhere. Ai ai ai. Thank you guys.

MAN WHAT?!?!...

not much need to upgrade on an m20 engine, unless you are gonna mod it.

lightweight flywheel makes shifting between gears faster, but more aggravating from a standstill to first, unless the engine has ungodly torque.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Yep as has been said go with stock stuff. Be prepared to break some sockets or wrenches getting the trans free, germans love to make bolts a pain to get out. You can drive it, but if the throwout seizes (not super likely) you won't be able to shift easily. forgot to throw in, it is also a good time to do the clutch slave and change the trans fluid as you have easy access to both with the trans out. If the shifter is sloppy/loose, this is a great time to check that out too.