GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z3 pistol grip shift knob fit to e34A?

Default Z3 pistol grip shift knob fit to e34A?

I was reading a post that I can not find now but it mentioned the above topic, anyone familiar with this? I would like to replace the auto shift handle with something smaller, is the Z3 a swap? Thanks

Billy,
    Might have been my signature where you saw the Z3 automatic trans shifter. I bought a kit from Circle BMW about a year or so ago. It came with the pistol grip shifter, the steel shift rod, and a plastic spacer that conceals the shift rod between the knob and the corrogated plastic dust cover. Seems like it was on sale for about $80.00. I really like this arrangement over the standard T-handle. Only thing I don't like is I can't remember how to release the knob to get my console out! I think it had a catch that engaged a groove around the top of the shift rod. If you buy the kit please look at it real close before you install it and let me know how it works!
    Thanks,
    JR
    1992 525 IA, EAT chip, 16 x 7.5 Rondell 58's, BavAuto Springs, Bilstein Sports, Elipsoid Smileys & fogs, Z3 Pistol grip shifter, 4 VDO gauge package, Azure Blue w/nice patina - clearcoat shot

Default z3 shifter

was the shifter a standard z3 shifter? did you need to modify anything to make it fit?
    thanks
    tim s.

Default shifter

I have a OEM BMW wood pistol grip shifter. I was gonna convert my e34 but just bought a manual e34. so no longer need. email me if you interetsted.
    http://www.peakebmw.com/Accessories/...ss/auto40D.htm
    looks like this not sure which wood it is.
    chrnptks@hotmail.com

I found the Circle BMW kit I bought. Check this link
    http://www.circlebmw.com/parts/knob/knob-cat.htm

JR
    1992 525 IA, EAT chip, 16 x 7.5 Rondell 58's, BavAuto Springs, Bilstein Sports, Elipsoid Smileys & fogs, Z3 Pistol grip shifter, 4 VDO gauge package, Azure Blue w/nice patina - clearcoat shot

Quote Originally Posted by JR'Z 525
    I found the Circle BMW kit I bought. Check this link
    http://www.circlebmw.com/parts/knob/knob-cat.htm

JR
    On the left side under "automatic" click under "leather/chrome". At the bottom under "e34" is a breakdown of the kit of the kit I bought. Looks like the other components are separately priced from the knob but it looks like it's still all on sale. Sorry I didn't remember that.
    JR

Default BMA also carries the parts needed at more reasonable prices.

I paid around $35 for the shifter shaft, couple bucks for the new tube and purchased the Pistol Grip on Ebay. Takes about 2 hours to swap out. You can use the existing shifter shaft by cutting it off about 3/4". Also you need to trim the spacer tube so it does not crush the gear selector slider in console.

Kurt
    95 525ia

i also got the kit from circle bmw. i'm using the "chrome/leather" pistol grip shifter. you can basically use any of bmw's pistol gril shifters after swapping out for the new shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by InfernoM3
    I have a OEM BMW wood pistol grip shifter. I was gonna convert my e34 but just bought a manual e34. so no longer need. email me if you interetsted.
    http://www.peakebmw.com/Accessories/...ss/auto40D.htm
    looks like this not sure which wood it is.
    chrnptks@hotmail.com
    here's a pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

ok, same part #'s as the circle site? and why is the e34 listed only under the chrome/leather knob? I prefer the wood/leather knob, are they not interchangable?
    Is this all done from inside the car (no under car work involved)? Could I just buy the shaft and collar and then buy a knob seperately as long as it is for the same applications as the one listed on the circle site? I know most of the answers here I'm justing thinking out loud as it were and looking for confirmation.
    thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast