GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Reliving old alternator problems...

Default Reliving old alternator problems...

OK, so I was searching through threads for answers to my query when I came upon an old thread some one else had posted back in '04 with my same exact problem and idea for a solution... the only difference is I have a 94 530i.. The post is as follows:

Hi there, long time viewer/fan, first time poster...

Rolling in my E34 M30 (1990 535i) w/~270,000 miles when the anti-lock light came on, followed shortly by the brake fluid light, then the engine started sputtering and died. Turning the ignition has no effect other than to light up the panel.

After pushing it out of traffic, sucker sat for about half an hour before I cranked it and starts right away. Drove for about a mile then started exhibiting the same symptoms again.

Now, the battery symbol (to the left of the oil pressure light) had been flickering of late, but always lit when first started, so I thought it was the battery.

But given the second crank and a boost that had jump-started it right away, I am thinking bad alternator. Agree/disagree/other suggestions?

How difficult is the alternator to replace and how much does it cost?

Thanks in advance!

Im just going through the same thing get a new alt ($$$$$$$) or a rebuild, I had mine rebuilt here at work (brushes,voltage regulator etc) might be cheaper to re-do if you can find someone that does them correctly (not butchering it) where are you located

dablack
    92-535

Quote Originally Posted by DABLACK
    Im just going through the same thing get a new alt ($$$$$$$) or a rebuild, I had mine rebuilt here at work (brushes,voltage regulator etc) might be cheaper to re-do if you can find someone that does them correctly (not butchering it) where are you located
    I'm in the Minneapolis-Saint Paul area. from other posts it looks like new delievered would be at best about $150. I'm pretty clueless in the cost of having it rebuilt. I've also been asking myself if it would be worth the extra cash to have a shop do it? Based on difficulty and what they would charge me...

also, i'm in need of a new water pump and thermostat... so if you've got any experience with that? I'm kind of piecing things together as to how the operation would go. I got a quote from the shop for those two parts being replaced around $400
    Last edited by jakewied02; 11-08-2006 at 03:16 PM.

the waterpump/ thermostat isnt real hard, there is 1 bolt that is real hard to get out as you can only turn it like 1/32 at a time unless you pull the harmonic balancer.

while your at it check the last time all the hoses and belts were replaced. these are all maintenance items.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy