GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 535i Radiator upgrade

Default 535i Radiator upgrade

Is there a better radiator out there for the e34 535i? I am building the turbo engine and would like to replace the radiator as well.

does fluidyne make a compatible model?
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Quote Originally Posted by jjdickm
    Is there a better radiator out there for the e34 535i? I am building the turbo engine and would like to replace the radiator as well.
    The stock onw should be more than enough.

Like a few guys, I am stuffing an M30 b35 into my e30 325is and will be turbo charging it.

Due to limited space we actually cram an e28 535i rad in there WITHOUT the viscous fan, just electrical and engine runs fine.

You are using a bigger rad, mechanical fan, back up aux electrical fan so should be more than OK.

I also know a few e34 FI guys who track their cars, no heating issues.
    BMW, THE ULTIMATE FLYING MACHINE

SPEED AND POWER IS NOTHING WITHOUT CONTROL,
    THANK THE GERMANS, BMW HAS ALL 3

i ran a e34 540 radiator in my 535 it's a inch wider and a good bit thicker, if you have a auto you need to run a tranny cooler (i spliced a e36 325 cooler onto my hoses, later 525s also use this cooler) it's been a while since i did it, if i remember correctly you need a extra right side lower mount to use for the left side (could be left for right which ever is smaller, this is how it is on the 540) and you need to ziptie the fan shroud on one side as the rad is about a inch wider, i put about 40k miles on mine and only had it get hot once in our ungodly summer heat (ambient was around 100* and i was sitting in line at the bank for about a half hour sucking up everybody elses radiator backwash the obc pegged at 135* outside temp i got to about 3/4)
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

I live in phoenix az it gets really hot during the summer so it would be very important.

heres the only decent pics i still have of it

Quote Originally Posted by jjdickm
    I live in phoenix az it gets really hot during the summer so it would be very important.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Wow, thats a clean, nice fit. I like you CAI sheild

yea the 540 unit drops right in with the correct plastic lower mount, you just need to deal with the cooler and ziptie the shroud, getting the tranny cooler out of the coolant helps that too, you can just see the screws holding the top of the cooler in the big pic, made the bends in the shield by using a drawer as a break
    this one has a little more of the shield

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Ready
    Wow, thats a clean, nice fit. I like you CAI sheild

Really tidy Winfred, you guys are good.

Thats not powder coating on the valve cover and intake right? It has a glossy finish, did you paint it?

yep, vht ceramic engine paint been using it for years and with good surface prep it sticks! i am at around 75k miles on my e30's valve cover and i put a little over 40k miles on the 535 before i sold it, i did a intake for the e30 a couple years ago and hit it the next day with a clear lacquer and got a mild wrinkle finish

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Ready
    Thats not powder coating on the valve cover and intake right? It has a glossy finish, did you paint it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast