GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I darken the leather on a seat?? (hurry)

Default Can I darken the leather on a seat?? (hurry)

Ok... stupid me...

I bought a replacement driver side seat bottom (leather and cushion) off of ebay. I just took out my old seat to fix the seat twist and redo the seat. Took off the old cushion that was in really bad shape, grabbed the "new" cushion, and to my surprise, it's a shade lighter than the rest.

My interior is more of a dark grey, where as the new seat cushion is more of a tan/brown. The difference is subtle, but there.

Is there anything I can do to darken the leather a bit to make a better match??

Right now my seat's sitting in the living room, and I don't want to put it back on untill I figure this thing out, so ANY help is much appreciated.

-brown

p.s. It's a 94 540i that I have, and here's a link to the ebay auction of the one I won. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...8930602&rd=1,1

the seat you bought is pergament and yours is gray, I dont thin theres much you can do to make it match besides completely redying the new one to somewhat match. Id suggest just putting it back together til you get the correct color seat cover and then selling the one you just bought.

good deal at the price you paid, my cover was 50 bux.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I need carpet mats that will match Pergament interiour. Anyideas? All i've found are beige,tan and sand that are near but they really aren't right. Is pergament German for parchment?

Upholstery LEDER BISON US/PERGAMENT (L3PE)
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

EDIT; Ooops! I missed the part about being different colors.

For future reference,

I rejuvenated the leather of my dads Touring using a product I found at an autobody supply house. I also found it at an upholstry shop. It is a simple leather dye that I applied with a foam applicator. I found the same product in aerosol as well. The brand name is SEM It is a common and widely used dye in the industry. Just ask! They'll know, they're the pro's. They may be able to tell you if the darker grey will cover the tan.

I used color chips provided by the shop and they mixed a batch while I waited. I only used a pint for the entire car. Looks brand new.

To enhance the color change you can sand the leather with 600 grit to open up the pores. Wipe it down with an alcohol based window cleaner like "Sprayway" or a cleaner that is safe for mirrors. Apply the dye and allow to dry for a couple of days then apply 303 Aerospace Protectant (also found at an apholstry shop or online)

Do NOT use silcone or petroleum based protectants.(Armorall)
    Last edited by Spasso; 11-06-2006 at 06:31 PM.
    Spasso
    530iT, 525 5-speed , 328is.

egads...I did this and very carefully redyed my drivers seat. Looked the whip for almost a whole month, 8 months later I had huge cracks and holes. I would NEVER ever spend so much time and effort again to fix a shitty cover. The pros wanted 500 plus and that was if I removed, dropped the seat off and picked it up a week later (thinking of ways to mount a backrest to the inevitable milk crate id have to bolt in for the interum). I eventually found someone on this board with a seat for sale willing to shed the skin and mail to me. Now all I have to do is mount the thing before it all shrinks...

Quote Originally Posted by Spasso
    EDIT; Ooops! I missed the part about being different colors.

For future reference,

I rejuvenated the leather of my dads Touring using a product I found at an autobody supply house. I also found it at an upholstry shop. It is a simple leather dye that I applied with a foam applicator. I found the same product in aerosol as well. I am at work at the moment and I can't for the life of me remember the name of the product. It is a common and widely used dye in the industry. Just ask! They'll know, they're the pro's.

I used color chips provided by the shop and they mixed a batch while I waited. I only used a pint for the entire car. Looks brand new.

To enhance the color change you can sand the leather with 600 grit to open up the pores. Wipe it down with an alcohol based window cleaner like "Sprayway" or a cleaner that is safe for mirrors. Apply the dye and allow to dry for a couple of days then apply 303 Aerospace Protectant (also found at an apholstry shop or online)

Do NOT use silcone or petroleum based protectants.(Armorall)
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    egads...I did this and very carefully redyed my drivers seat. Looked the whip for almost a whole month, 8 months later I had huge cracks and holes. I would NEVER ever spend so much time and effort again to fix a shitty cover. The pros wanted 500 plus and that was if I removed, dropped the seat off and picked it up a week later (thinking of ways to mount a backrest to the inevitable milk crate id have to bolt in for the interum). I eventually found someone on this board with a seat for sale willing to shed the skin and mail to me. Now all I have to do is mount the thing before it all shrinks...
    Holy Cow! What was the condition of the seat when you started?!

Can I have your cat?
    Spasso

the seat was redyed before I bought the car, and they used crackhead fill too. I washed the old dye off and redyed the deal, used the oil as recommended and all. The leatherique cleaner initally removed some of the redyed **** so it looked real bad, thus the work of completely redoing the whole thing resulting in something worse than a set of old underwear bumper hitching in a parking lot in the summer heat.

taking offers on the cat, needs a good home it's real tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Spasso
    Holy Cow! What was the condition of the seat when you started?!

Can I have your cat?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    the seat you bought is pergament and yours is gray, I dont thin theres much you can do to make it match besides completely redying the new one to somewhat match. Id suggest just putting it back together til you get the correct color seat cover and then selling the one you just bought.

good deal at the price you paid, my cover was 50 bux.
    F@ck. I don't know what to do now. I'm either going to put my old one back on, or just use the new one that doesn't exactly match.

Here's the deal. I'm putting the car on ebay in a week or so (once I fix a couple other random things). It's got 189K miles on it, and it's in OK shape at best. The body is very straight, but the paint has oxidized from sitting for a year (I'm going to try and buff it out, but who knows). Interior is great, except for the drivers seat and the carpet.

The cushion I have now looks pretty bad. There's all sorts of cracking, and on the left side (where the driver slide's in), there's a whole about 2-3in wide by about 4-5in long.

If you were looking at a car [to buy], would you rather have a decent seat that doesn't quite match, or a ripped up one that does???

thanks

-brown

well....thats a great question. Maybe you could put that a matching seatcover is part of the deal but in poor shape. Mention that the new (existing new one) can be dyed but due to your limited military leave you dont have time to source all this out in time to get back into service.

you are in the service?

The car isnt going to sell for 50k so I wouldnt worry much about it but I would mention that aspect of the seat not matching.

sorry if im no help, im drunk.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by rcbrown23
    F@ck. I don't know what to do now. I'm either going to put my old one back on, or just use the new one that doesn't exactly match.

thanks

-brown
    If your interior is really a (relatively) darker grey I would scuff the "new' cushion and dye it. If it works you'll have a nice match. If not you'll have a drivers seat in nice shape that is only slightly missmatched.

GO FOR IT! Most people would rather have a nice cushion, especially while driving.
    Spasso

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast