GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would 224k on a '91 535i scare you?

Default Would 224k on a '91 535i scare you?

Okay, here's the deal. In the back of my mind, I've longed for a 535i since we got our 525. Yesterday, I found one on Craigslist. Here's the description:

Good car that was used as a daily commuter. Just serviced with plugs, struts and suspension parts but could use a tune up (cap and rotor). Tires are good. Just inspected in June 06. Car shows wear but it will make someone a good car at this price.
    224K highway miles but serviced when it should have been. 5 spd. power everything. Get's good gas mileage. last trip from NJ it got 29 MPG.

That doesn't sound too bad, does it? Hoping to go take a look today after voting.

The kicker is: $2500.
    Bill B.
    95 525i

224k is probably around half it's working life - an old friend of mine says his 5 series have lasted usually 3-400k before something terminal went bang.

224K isn't too bad for an M30, but at that price I'd be wary of other maintenence.
    1990 Islandgrun 535iM Sedan

3k oil changes | Euro lights + trim | Eibach/Bilstein | EAT Chip

Buy it Bill!!! (it'll save me from having to go look at it....)

Seriously, M30's are probably one of the most bulletproof engines ever built by BMW. I think you probably know enough about E34's other quirks that you can make an informed decision about the condition of the car after you look at it. AND it's a 5 speed!!!!

Would you sell the 318is?? If so, I"m sure you could sell it for enough to buy this car, AND do whatever needs to be done to it to whip it into good shape- maybe even have some $$$ left over.

Bret.

Spent the money and have an indy go through the car. Its worth thre $100 to have it up on a hoist and gone through. Might even give you some ammunition against the seller to drop the price
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

Heck yeah. I'd do it. At 300k, mine still whips the young'ens in their whizzing four bangers $2500!
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

Default 29mpg you got to be kidding me

No way in hell it got 29mpg unless it was all downhill. My 91 535 5speed at it's highest mpg got 22! Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by billb
    Okay, here's the deal. In the back of my mind, I've longed for a 535i since we got our 525. Yesterday, I found one on Craigslist. Here's the description:

Good car that was used as a daily commuter. Just serviced with plugs, struts and suspension parts but could use a tune up (cap and rotor). Tires are good. Just inspected in June 06. Car shows wear but it will make someone a good car at this price.
    224K highway miles but serviced when it should have been. 5 spd. power everything. Get's good gas mileage. last trip from NJ it got 29 MPG.

That doesn't sound too bad, does it? Hoping to go take a look today after voting.

The kicker is: $2500.
    Can't wait to hear about the "visit" Bill. My M50 has almost 182K on it and it's still running strong.
    -ashley

'92 525iA / 179k miles / Born 3.92 / ABS / No ASC / stock / North Carolina

Paper Gaskets Suck!

Quote Originally Posted by smcgowan
    No way in hell it got 29mpg unless it was all downhill. My 91 535 5speed at it's highest mpg got 22! Just my 2 cents.
    I concur. I drive "spiritedly" about 80% of the time and I get 19.6 MPG. If I do extremely conservative (did for half a tank or so), it averages 24.7 MPG... and this is ULTRA-my-mother-is-riding-shotgun type conservative.
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

Default Nice color

Bill,

At that price I'd say got for it and it's the same color combo as mine we would have twins.

Scott

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast