GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: leaking rad

Default leaking rad

Where is the best place to buy a radiator for an e34. Mine is leaking where the plastic tank meets the aluminum core at the bottom on the drivers side.
    From what I have read it cannot be repaired and will only get worse.

Thanks, Edward

Quote Originally Posted by edward
    Where is the best place to buy a radiator for an e34.
    Depends where you are. I got mine from http://www.eurocarparts.com

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

I am in Ottawa Canada. Thanks Edward

Quote Originally Posted by edward
    I am in Ottawa Canada. Thanks Edward

Edward, I have always ordered from Patrick or Yves at BMA. If you're nice and ask the right shipping questions, they may help you out with the charges across the border. Just don't tell them I sent you

For example, I paid $175 US for a nissens rad for my M50 from BMA. The random canadian car parts site has them listed for ~$310, with free shipping.

You'll likely get the rad faster in Canada, but pay a bit more.

Dave M
    Last edited by Dave M; 11-07-2006 at 03:45 PM.

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

are you driving some variant of a 525i? the seal where the tank meets the radiator is maintained by gaskets/o rings. if you could take a picture of it for us, perhaps somebody could tell you if you only need to replace the gasket down there.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Yes, can you post a picture? I was told by a mechanic that my radiator also has a slow leak and although not urgent, it should be replaced within a year. I wonder if we're having the same problem.

Default leaking rad

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Dave my car is an automatic and bma lists that 170 dollar rad for standards only. Can I still use it if I have an auxillary tranny cooler.

In my search of this very informative site I could not find any reference to fixing these rads where the aluminum core meets the plastic tanks. I had a Garys radiator shop tell me they used to fix them buy flushing the rad and then taking a set of vice grips and recrimping the core onto the tank. He added that they did not do that anymore, and I assume its because it would be hard to guarantee. My car is a 525i touring and I do not have a digital camera as yet.

Thanks again,

Edward

i got mine on ebay very cheap

if i understand you right, the rad is leaking only at points where the opaque plastic contacts the radiator?

if that's the case, the shop is lying to you. that's a press fit, and fluid leakage is due to a bad o-ring. no crimp is involved where the plastic tank seats to the radiator. when i say plastic tank, i mean the white/opaque plastic thing in which the radiator cap is. if you are referring to a leak from this tank, or where the tank seats, you don't need a new radiator. no crimps are involved there, NONE.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."