GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: CV joint

Default CV joint

1995 525i Automatic -

About a week ago I when I was driving all of a suddon I noticed that when at low speeds the front driver side makes an almost grinding or twisting sound when turning the wheel and sometimes 'slipping' of the wheel for a moment... That is I turn the wheel but I can feel the tires not moving, or at least losing grip.

I asked around and the only thing anyone could tell me was the CV joint is bad or the boot is cracked. But doesn't a clicking or banging sound usually come from a bad CV joint?

I checked under my car and low and behold, there was oil dripping down the side of my transmission. This leads me to believe it is most likely the inner CV joint, correct? As the outer one is closer to the tire (and also doesn't appear to have any damage).

I guess my question is, Since there is no clicking sound, does that mean the my CV joint can be saved, and I only need a new boot + more oil? Or would you reckon I'm not so lucky?

And also, how much would it cost for labour of a new CV joint? The part itself is about $100 USD but I guess replacing it can take all day. How much should I expect to pay?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by dogboy182; 11-06-2006 at 03:04 AM.

CV joint ?
    Its a bmw , not a toyota !

People who are telling you that it's a CV are thinking that the car is front wheel drive, and as such would have CVs and axles in the front of the car. But the car isn't front wheel drive, unless we're talking about a euro 525iX.

Grinding is good, but "twisting" doesn't make sense as an onomatopeia. Check to see if the steering box is loose -- bolts can loosen and they can bang around during low speed turns. Go over the steering links and suspension. Check the mounting points for the idler arm, upper and lower control arms. Also check the springs and upper strut mounts, both of which can, in theory, break...but you'd notice it under way. There are some good, descriptive web sites around if you need help locating and checking the various parts.

Oh, well that's semi good news at least. =) If there are no CV joints then they can't break ; )

Thank you for your input, Im taking it in today so I'll bare all of this in mind. Hopefully it will just be a matter of tightening a few things...

however we do have rear cv joints
    Quote Originally Posted by dogboy182
    Oh, well that's semi good news at least. =) If there are no CV joints then they can't break ; )

Thank you for your input, Im taking it in today so I'll bare all of this in mind. Hopefully it will just be a matter of tightening a few things...
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

how wide are your tires?
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Well I took it to the shop today and found that it was my power steering tube.

Once I got there I tried to demonstrate the noise it was making by turning the wheel, but there wasn't any noise anymore. I though "Are you kidding? now you're fixed??" But then we opened the hood and saw that when I turned the wheel it power steering fluid was spraying all over.

He explained that the reason it didnt make any noise after I had been driving awhile was because the fluid had managed to circulate a little, but when I first start driving it wasnt going anywhere, thus, the noise.

So I hope that is the only thing I need fixed... Im trying to go on vacation soon, and I don't make much as an E2 =)

Is it possible for anyone to give a rough estamate on total price for a new power steering hose + labour? I'm stationed in Monterey California right now. He said it should be between 50 and 60 for the part, but also explained that it is under a lot of pressure and connected at both ends to very important parts so the work might take awhile.

As for my tires. I'm not sure, I assume that the rims are factory for the 525i, and so the tires should be whatever fits on that.

I'm not sure how much this will help, I have a few pictures (not very good angle though).

Thanks to everyone for the input.