GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 540i Engine Shudder/Vibrations

Default 540i Engine Shudder/Vibrations

I just purchased a beautiful 1995 540i with the V8. I had it inspected and the car appeared to be in great shape. It currently has 200,000KMs.

Here's the problem. The car vibrates. At all speeds, at idle, on the highway, around town. But not all the time.

The thing is that it doesn't happen all the time. Only about half the time. The rest of the time it runs smooth.

help me understand what this could be. I'm hoping that it's something as simple as an engine mount and not something wrong with the engine itself.

I should also note that the compression check came out okay and the car otherwise seems to have all it's power and runs well.

I did put new tires on it the other day, but the issue is the same after as it was before.

Please help.

welcome to the M60 earthquake on wheels.

you need new engine mounts.

they are NOT simple to change.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

I had mine changed last week. I watched the tech guy do it and it took 30 mins to 40 at tops. With the proper tools, it seemed quite straightforward.

Quote Originally Posted by BillionPa
    welcome to the M60 earthquake on wheels.

you need new engine mounts.

they are NOT simple to change.

Our 530it does it as well. I am thinking it is tempurature related and if so maybe the fan clutch.

Don
    1994 530it 147,000
    1983 300SD 278,000 (running soybean oil)
    1980 300TD 135,000 (running soybean oil)

What sort of vibrations are caused by the bad mounts?

If it's a 'slow' rocking and not a 'cell phone' type vibration, then I get this sitting at idle, I wouldn't be surprised if the mounts were going on mine, I'll have to keep an eye on that/take a look at the mounts if accessible.
    [1994 530i/5-Speed]

I agree with BillionPa. Change the engine mounts and the transmission mounts while you are at it. Huge difference once changed. Also check for leaks in your power steering lines, as the fluid will destroy the mounts.

Do a search for replacement procedure. It is not easy but with the right tools you can DIY in less than two hours.
    '95 540iA ~212k

Quote Originally Posted by Fetch
    What sort of vibrations are caused by the bad mounts?

If it's a 'slow' rocking and not a 'cell phone' type vibration, then I get this sitting at idle, I wouldn't be surprised if the mounts were going on mine, I'll have to keep an eye on that/take a look at the mounts if accessible.

The vibrations I get is like a rumble.... except it doesn't just do it when idling. At first I thought it was happening because it was idling pretty low, around 600rpm or less. But it kept up as I drove around. Then it went away, then it came back.

I've spent some time trying to figure out what brings it on, and what makes it go away, but to no avail.

I'm going to get the engine mounts checked out an hopefully that gives me a super smooth ride.

If you want to see if the engine mounts are broken, try this:

1) Start the car & set the hand brake and let it warm up.
    2) Open the hood
    3) Find the throttle cable & push/pull it to rev the engine. Don't be shy about revving it hard.

If the engine mounts are shot, the engine will lift up on the left side at least an inch. It is not easy to tell if the mounts are shot simply by looking at them. On a LHD car, the driver side mount is buried underneath oil & power steering lines and is difficult to look at.
    '95 540iA ~212k

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaactually....

if you have an automatic, dont rev it in park or neutral, as this can cause catostrophic damage to the transmission.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Quote Originally Posted by BillionPa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaactually....

if you have an automatic, dont rev it in park or neutral, as this can cause catostrophic damage to the transmission.

So while you are in Drive, with the hood open, have a friend stand on the fender of the car while you accelerate at full throttle?
    [1994 530i/5-Speed]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast