GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower Control Arm Question

Default Lower Control Arm Question

I was under my car this weekend replacing a broken tie rod end. I pulled loose a control arm from the cross member to see if the ball joint was good. They're decent, no excessive play. But the bushing had some cracks in it.
    My question is, Can the bushings be replaced, like on the thrust arm?

The other thing is, I have a set of Hamburg Technic lowers that I got from FCP. What part fails on them, the ball joint or the bushing?

I was under my car this weekend replacing a broken tie rod end. I pulled loose a control arm from the cross member to see if the ball joint was good. They're decent, no excessive play. But the bushing had some cracks in it.
    My question is, Can the bushings be replaced, like on the thrust arm?
    YES

The other thing is, I have a set of Hamburg Technic lowers that I got from FCP. What part fails on them, the ball joint or the bushing?
    BOTH< THE BUSHING OR SAY 5 SETS OF BUSHINGS WONT LAST AS LONG AS THE BALLJOINT, AND THAT DONT LAST MUCH LONGER THAN 20K
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    BOTH< THE BUSHING OR SAY 5 SETS OF BUSHINGS WONT LAST AS LONG AS THE BALLJOINT, AND THAT DONT LAST MUCH LONGER THAN 20K
    Are you saying the ball joints are only good for 20K miles?! And I have to replace the lower control arm bushings more frequently?!

OMG, what have they done?

Brian

The problem is the ball joint. Like Jeff, I ran through a set in a few months. The ball joints, specifically the coverings, are junk.

Default Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    The problem is the ball joint. Like Jeff, I ran through a set in a few months. The ball joints, specifically the coverings, are junk.
    You mean the Hamburg Technic ball joints, right? I can't tell you exactly how many miles I have on my Lemforders (with 750 bushings), but more like over 50,000 miles and I'm still smiling.

It's always more economical to use quality parts. Too bad there are inferior ones out there, and the only way you'll know which is which is by keeping up with Bimmer.info

Well I guess I have to get rid of the Technics.

But now I've got another problem.

One of my struts just started to leak all the fluid out. While the other has leaked all the fluid out.

Though I'd love to put a set of Bilsteins on it, I dont have the funds in the account. Does anybody have any experience with KYB gas shocks?

Quote Originally Posted by 92E34
    Well I guess I have to get rid of the Technics.

But now I've got another problem.

One of my struts just started to leak all the fluid out. While the other has leaked all the fluid out.

Though I'd love to put a set of Bilsteins on it, I dont have the funds in the account. Does anybody have any experience with KYB gas shocks?
    KYB is a well-known brand name. As long as you go with something above their entry-level, and the shocks are valved for your application, life should be good.

Brian

Sachs turbo gas are good in my oppinion, less than 100 each.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Well I called the local bmw salvage yard. I'm in luck. They've got a whole strut with wheel bearing and hub for $75. I'm just going to swap it. I'm gonna inspect the heck out of the strut insert and the hub.

why?
    Quote Originally Posted by 92E34
    Well I called the local bmw salvage yard. I'm in luck. They've got a whole strut with wheel bearing and hub for $75. I'm just going to swap it. I'm gonna inspect the heck out of the strut insert and the hub.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast