GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suspension noise.

Default Suspension noise.

Hi all,

Just wondering whether anyone heres got any ideas. I have a bit of suspension noise on my 540i, its really weird. It only happens when I go over pot holes or rough roads, which driving around where I am happens a lot.

It sounds like something is loose or broken inside somewhere, eg. cut springs but its not cut springs I know that for sure.

I do know that the previous owner lowered the car and replaced the stock rubber bushings with noelethane bushings, and its giving the car a really stiff, harsh ride, something rob101 can testify to.

So anyone got any ideas what this might be?

PS. Got back to the Goldie on indy weekend, my 2002 looks sweet in its brand new mica orange paint

yeah i still think the harsh ride is the stiff springs yang.

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Check exhaust hangers. I just found the middle muffler rubber hangers were broken. I also have some rear suspension noise over rough bumps. I thought it was the doors or soemthing in the cabin. Will replace the rubber hangers this week and see.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Just been through this - my solution was to pull the springs off the front struts then refit them and then remove one of the links to the anti-roll bar (or sway bar) - this way I could push the suspension up and down about more easily and find out where the noise was coming from

Stu.
    E.A.T, 0w-40.

You might also try to identify if it is the front wheels or the rear that are making the noise, and check your brake calipers. For whatever reason, the anti-rattle springs seem to fail/not get reinstalled in a lot of BMWs
    1990 535i
    117,000mi
    Feederick, MD

If it has **** or tires, you are going to have problems.

i have the exact same problem on my 525 e34, but its worse, if i hit a puthole with my left backwheel all hell brakes loose noise wise. All other 3 wheels no problem, its really anoying, and somehow the people @ my local car shop dont seem to know where its comming from.

so i was wondering if maybe one of you guys know how to fix this. since i dont seem to be the only one with this prob.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMad 525i
    i have the exact same problem on my 525 e34, but its worse, if i hit a puthole with my left backwheel all hell brakes loose noise wise. All other 3 wheels no problem, its really anoying, and somehow the people @ my local car shop dont seem to know where its comming from.

so i was wondering if maybe one of you guys know how to fix this. since i dont seem to be the only one with this prob.
    Your dogbones should be replaced as a matter of course, but noise back there would almost certainly be the shock mounts or the lower subframe mounts, unless it be damaged/bent somewhere else, or a failed shock- that is easy for the shop to test on a Boge testing machine. nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

is it possible to fix myself? i consider myself a n00b, but i have some knowledge of taking things apart, and i usually manage to get them back together.

Only prob for me is that i cannot simulate the noise on jacks, or even standing in a working pit. so troubleshooting it is kinda a b****

tnx for your quick reply

Dog bones are an easy fix. Parts are about $100 bucks through BMA in Calif. I assume you are in the US. However, I cannot tell as you do not tell anything obout your car or where you are located. Be a good idea to fill out your profile and/or have some sort of descriptive sig.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Truly sorry about the missing info,

its a '89 520i i dont think anything is modded except for the engine, there is a 525 engine in there. I life in holland, you know accross the pond from the uk, spare parts are no problem, i just need to know how to put them on, or where to look for the broken parts, like i said i am kinda new to suspension stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast