GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At the Junkyard/Recycler/Salvage Questions

Default At the Junkyard/Recycler/Salvage Questions

I have a 93 535 and a 94 740iL at my local boneyard and there were a few things I needed to know before I accidently break things I want out of them.

* How do you remove the a/c vents!??! I tried using something to pry them out of their housings (assumed it was two plastic pins holding them in), but no matter how much prying I did, it always felt like there was something else holding those in there!

* Both cars trunks were closed and the central lock had them locked. Since the batteries aren't in the cars, and the keys aren't either, is there any way I can get those trunks open? The 740's lock cylinder is chewed up a bit so I can't even push on the button. My dad suggested I use a pry bar to force it open, but I figured I'd ask here first. If I have to pry it, is there a place on the trunk lip better than dead center to do it from?

* Door lock actuators. I assume this is as simple as drilling the rivets holding them in and unplugging the connector. (Correct me if I'm wrong on this one)

Anyone need a motor? The 740's V8 is unmolested and just sitting there. If you're in the Houston area, the pick-a-part on I-45 south of West Road is where its at.

"Scarlet" `97 540/6 with sleepy mods.
    "Box Car" '87 535isA - Old School Charm, new school Flair

I don't know if this procedure works on the trunk as well:
    http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Trouble/Locked.htm

I need a front lock actuator if there is more than one good one.

vents pop out just pick a side and pry, trunk can be accessed through the center of the back seat, a **** load of extension and maybe a prybar and you can pop the trunk through the hole, you may need to punch out the knock out if it's not been done though, lock actuators are generally held in with 7 or 8mm bolts
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    vents pop out just pick a side and pry, trunk can be accessed through the center of the back seat, a **** load of extension and maybe a prybar and you can pop the trunk through the hole, you may need to punch out the knock out if it's not been done though, lock actuators are generally held in with 7 or 8mm bolts
    On the 5-series the lock actuators are held on by 6mm head bolts. A very small socket which isn't common in most toolboxes is needed. Is it possible to bring a small 12 volt hobby battery to the junk yard? I know I've done that a few times to power up window motors and other small accessories. In E34s you can power up the central locking system (and the rest of constantly hot systems) from the trunk light if your battery goes dead. Perhaps the same can be done by hooking the battery up to the interior lighting and feeding 12 volts into the system with a door open? I know I've seen a how-to somewhere for getting the central locking operational with no power from the vehicle's battery. Hope this helps.

It just occured to me that it would be a no-brainer to bring a small 12 volt battery to the salvage yard and just hook it up like a regular battery. You are only operating the central locking, so no need for extra power. Check walmart or maybe a sporting goods store for sealed hobby-type 12 volt batteries.
    Last edited by Rus; 11-05-2006 at 03:03 PM.

Default i need the door side mouldings

hi, i need the black mouldings that run across the door, i need the rear pass and the small piece behind the rear door, and the drivers door moulding, ill pay u what ever they cost plus your time and trouble, thanks

I'll check/get them when I go back there Wednesday. I believe the 535 still had them.

When you get the trunk open, I'd be real interested in any tools left in the kit.
    1990 535i
    117,000mi
    Feederick, MD

If it has **** or tires, you are going to have problems.

Fun if the boot deadlock's engaged

Get em to tie a forklift chain around something and yank..

j/k lol

Why not take a 12V battery with you?
    www.universal5.com
    Orange Tool Forum
    San Diego, CA

1994 e34 530i Eibachs/KYB
    0 miles on new windshield

That's why I was trying to get in there

None of the 3 trunks had a single tool in the boxes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast