GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Was i lucky?

Default Was i lucky?

This morning i was passing a slow truck and downshifted from fourth to second and stomped on it. After briefly responding the power kind of farted out.OK on we go thru the day. At least once i mis shifted either in third or fifth,i can't remember which but i was going for either fourth or sixth and hit second and of course nose dives then got out of gear.. Since a few days ago i'd been smelling coolant but seeing not a drop leaking so carrying on later on today i pulled into a parking spot and steam was coming from under the hood. It was the top Rad Hose . The clamp was lose and the hose was almost off. I tightened it ,topped off with BMW Blue and Distiled water 50/50 and all was well.If the hose wasn't lose could those two incidents today with the mis shift and the fart after second gear up hill stomp have maybe cost me a head gasket but for the fact the hose was lose and the force pushed it off rather than distributing the pressure elsewhere in the engine?
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

leave mine in E and never had a problem.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

either accelleration issue wont have a thing to do with anything that hapens with the head gasket,although maybe the missing or whatever had something to do wih coolant being sprayed around the place.There seems to be a theme with your posts of late,find out whats causing this intermittent power loss.
    Gone but not forgotten

Oh noes the money shift!

If it does end up being the head gasket(s), I'm now an "expert" on the subject when it comes to m60's
    Zac

What i thought was that since the pressure in the system was allowed to fall from the loose hose the hard downshift/miss shift just caused the hose off more rather than go thru the head gasket.The coolant was clean. I was facing up hill for that fourth to second fart so is there some where else compression would escape if inertia was just unable to be overcome by the torque?It started off normal but when i floored it as i saw oncoming traccice rapidly nearing maybe i just flooded it ?

what revs were you puling when you had the second gear "fart"Is it hitting the rev limiter?
    Either that or you have some bad plugs/wires/coils.
    Gone but not forgotten

I wasn't looking at the tach as i was looking at the traffic coming fast upon me in whos lane i was while passing the truck so its possible that rev limiter may have been the case. I found Denso Iridiums up the road from me so i have plans to grab those soon..
    Last edited by Jehu; 11-05-2006 at 02:50 AM.

I dont think the platinums are the way to go....I am sure some others will chime in.I vote for the rev limiter in this case,4th>2nd and floor it,a 540 would wind up to the red line in no time.
    Gone but not forgotten