GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Aoto transmission indicator shows exclamation mark and car drags

Default Auto transmission indicator shows exclamation mark and car drags

1992 UK Spec E34 BMW 520i purchased at 75,000 (no history tho :-)) currently at 81,000.

Beautiful car drives like a dream until now!

This is a frequently reoccuring problem whilst driving in D-Mode (excuse me if thats not I am new to autos).

Drives ok for a bit then suddenly the car goes into some sort of 'safe' mode with reduced power and I get an exclamation mark with a little spoked ring around it where it normally says E-D

switch the engine off, then on again and sometimes that fixes it. or go into manual gears and that sorts it out too. But the problem is re-occuring.

Have read a lot of posts but not one mention of the exclamation mark. I will clean the sensors under the gear stick this week. That much I can do!
    I have bought the ATF although I havent checked what type it is I didnt think it mattered until I read the posts!. Will check it tonight.

I will get my mate to change the ATF but as there are no level indiactors can you direct me to a good guide to to this step by step? Also do you recommend changing some filters/gaskets etc if so which ones.

More importantly any info about the actual problem above will be VERY gratefully recieved.

i will keep you guys posted....
    Sizla
    Last edited by sizla; 11-02-2006 at 11:01 AM.

I managed to resolve this problem by taking apart the gear selector switch and giving it a good old clean with some contact cleaner, and old toothbrush and a cotton ear bud!

Still gna change the oil tho when I get a moment.

Any other tips welcome

i am guessing you have the gm (chevy, it has two oil pans, a small one and a big square one) tranny found in the us 525, to refill after servicing theres a bolt on the side of the pan up near the rail, it's on the left side of our cars, i like to fill till it runs out then start the car for a minute then shut it off and top it up, then you can start the car and warm up the tranny with a short drive (5-10 minutes), then top it off with the engine running till it runs out the hole
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it