GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Headgasket leaking, please, please help! I feel horrible..

Default Headgasket leaking, please, please help! I feel horrible..

I'm not sure how many of you know or remember, but i sold my car about a month ago. I was sad to see it go, but the pain was eased by a brand new toyota tundra. Well anyways, the new owner and i have talked alot, and he has been a great guy to work with, and all in all the auction(on ebay) and sale of the car has been a great experience for both of us. This is where i get to the problem. I just recieved an e-mail from him, saying that he noticed a leak under the car, took it to a shop, and they told him that the head gasket is leaking coolant into the oil! I had no idea, or saw any signs of this type of problem, and now i just feel absolutely horrible that this guy has to go through with this after only owning the car for about a week now! I want to do anything i can to try and help him out, so please any advice you guys have, any hints, ideas anything i can pass on to him would greatly be appreciated! I know i didn't do anything wrong, but i just feel so bad about this, so please help in any way!

Default headgaskets going bad are very common, just the way it works out sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by bimmer253
    I'm not sure how many of you know or remember, but i sold my car about a month ago. I was sad to see it go, but the pain was eased by a brand new toyota tundra. Well anyways, the new owner and i have talked alot, and he has been a great guy to work with, and all in all the auction(on ebay) and sale of the car has been a great experience for both of us. This is where i get to the problem. I just recieved an e-mail from him, saying that he noticed a leak under the car, took it to a shop, and they told him that the head gasket is leaking coolant into the oil! I had no idea, or saw any signs of this type of problem, and now i just feel absolutely horrible that this guy has to go through with this after only owning the car for about a week now! I want to do anything i can to try and help him out, so please any advice you guys have, any hints, ideas anything i can pass on to him would greatly be appreciated! I know i didn't do anything wrong, but i just feel so bad about this, so please help in any way!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I had a similar situation - when my parents sold my first car (a 1988 Ford Taurus), they went through a litany of problems and helped the new owner out by paying for some of the repairs. After a while, the guy kept showing up and they had to draw the line somewhere.

Now, as an owner of a car that I bought from someone else (a good friend, in fact), I have seen the situation from the other side. I also talked with him frequently after I bought the car. Once, I told him about a repair that I had to have done. According to him, the repair had been done by his shop. I investigated on my end, he investigated on his end. The result was that his shop had pulled a fast one, and he got them to give me the $$$ for my repair.

I think you approach it like this: if you sold him the car in what you knew was good working order, then you can't be expected to bear any responsibility. I saw all the repair bills when I bought my car, so I knew it could get expensive if I had someone else do the repairs. If I were you, I would give him as much help as I could as to the symptoms; in fact, refer him to this board as a good resource. Walk him through the repairs until he gets the hang of it. Remember, ANYTHING you do is above and beyond what most other sellers would do. It's a used car and things go wrong. It's perfect one day, and then the next, there's a puddle of something on the ground under your car...

I hope that helps and good luck,
    dave b
    93 525i
    156k +