GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Meaning of the BMW emblem

Default Meaning of the BMW emblem

I was just looking thru the F.A.Q. area and came across some info that I have never heard in my many years of BMW ownership. It stated that the emblem represented the colors of the Bavarian Flag. I don't want to start any flack but I beg to differ. The symbol represents BMW's early aviation roots. That's why the Allies bombed the Hell out of the factories. The White area is an airplane propeller and the blue is the sky. Just a little bit of Bavarian History.

Will Ollison
    1990 535i
    1981 528i
    1975 2002

Bavarian Motor Works was the maker of the airplane engines, havent heard the rest of that data tho. where did you reas that?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

My bad, just checked my references. My apologies. Don't be too bruttal. Next I will be calling Bimmers, Beamers.
    Willo

I was told by an older fellow at the BMW museum in Munchen/Munich that the design did indeed begin as the stylized propellor against the sky, and was finalized using die koloren Bayerishe (the light blue and white) Those also happen to be the colours on the beer stein that I and some other NATO officers were quite graciously given by Prince Luitpold (great grandson of King Ludwig) himself during a visit to his Kaltenburg brewery (well, it's a castle that also makes beer!). He also graciously filled our steins a few times...he's a VERY nice gentleman! If you have a chance to try Konig Ludwig Dunkel you'd love it. Mmmmmm....dark beeeer!

Cheers (literally!)
    Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

Call me CLIFF Guest

Default There are many misconceptions.

Airplane propeller? There are many misconceptions. It is Bavarian Code of Arms. Also, remember the JEEP? People believe it came from the old cartoon character that could do it all. But it is JEEP (aka GP) stands for government (G) and the code for the wheelbase (P). Did you know that Mercedes emblem used to have four points in a circle at first? Now you see it with three points in a circle.

actually, JEEP comes from GP General Purpose. The "Jeep" was a general purpose vehicle and calling it a GP sounded a lot like "jeep". Thus was born the term 'jeep'.

it is not he bavarian coat of arms (coat, not code) it just happens to be the same colors. It does in fact represent a spinning propeller as to represent their heritage as beginning life building airplane engines for WWI planes.

die koloren Bayerishe = the colors Bavarian

BMW = Bayerishe Motore Werken = Bavarian Motor Works.

sorry but GP doesn't stand for general purpose, believe the other poster was correct in saying that the G stands for government but the P stands for 180 inch wheelbase (or some other inch wheelbase) vehicle. i believe the spelling JEEP comes from the popeye cartoon, as GP sounds like Jeep

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeak
    actually, JEEP comes from GP General Purpose. The "Jeep" was a general purpose vehicle and calling it a GP sounded a lot like "jeep". Thus was born the term 'jeep'.

it is not he bavarian coat of arms (coat, not code) it just happens to be the same colors. It does in fact represent a spinning propeller as to represent their heritage as beginning life building airplane engines for WWI planes.

Last edited by ryan roopnarine; 04-15-2004 at 07:53 AM.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Call me CLIFF Guest

Default Incorrect about the JEEP.

That's incorrect about the JEEP. aka GP = P is NOT purpose. That's another misconceptions. PLEASE CHECK THE FACTS AGAIN! P DOES STAND FOR THE WHEELBASE OF THE JEEP. I forgot exact length... All GP had a specific design length engineer for its purpose. IT IS A WHEELBASE CODE! I saw it at the Chicago AUTO SHOW about the brand name. Ohhh, I mean code NOT coat for "Code of Arms"... I'm just telling you what was written about the brand name at the Chicago AUTO SHOW. How the name came to be and the misconception behind the name. I found Mercedes-Benz to be interesting... Mercedes is a name of a business partner's beautiful daughter who Mr. Benz thought would be suitable for his beautiful cars to honor his partnership. I should have the written paper document somewhere about the brand name. I'll look for it and place the picture so you could see for yourself. What is FACT OR NOT...

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeak

"..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Yes i know about Merc being named after the guys daughter.

My apologies on the GP thing, i was trying to recall what i had seen on the History Channel a few weeks ago, so my mind wasn't perfect. Also, after doing a bit of fast research through the web (thanks Google!) it seems the debate rages. To FORD (the makers of the 'gp') the P was their code for an' 80" wheel base. However, to the Army the P was purpose. It was known as the 1/4Ton General Purpose 4x4 or GP.

However, most commonly now it is called a 'coat' of arms not a code. (things may be different on the other side of the 'pond' but i'm speaking for the Philadelphia area of the world)

And as for the actual MEANING of the BMW emblem, the world may never know....another situtation in which the debate rages. We could however, email BMW and see what sort of response we get!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast