GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I finally grew a pair & bought an M-Tech 2 steering wheel

Default I finally grew a pair & bought an M-Tech 2 steering wheel

It took forever & a day to get here from Ebay-Germany but finally got it installed on Saturday. No issues from disabling the SRS. I pulled the SRS relay in the fuse box & took the bulb out behind the cluster & taped over the tiny flashing bulb still soldered to the pc board. The CCM doesn't know it's gone.

I ended up getting a 370 mm Euro e36 M3 wheel, 32-33-2-226-741. It mates up like it's meant to be, same splines, didn't even have to mess with spacers, everything matches up flush. The horn works & turn signals cancel like they should.

The top brim of the wheel crops the gauges above 60 mph & 5k rpm but no biggie. Really has a nice feel to it. I was surprised how much quicker/firmer the turn-in action is with a smaller wheel, really gets the mush out of this boat of a 7.

I also treated myself to a new burled walnut shift panel. Now I'm gonna have to get a cup holder to keep it nice. I bought it from www.carpartsdiscount.com , they sell them separate or as a complete kit. It really has a nice finish & really thick wood substrate with an aluminum backing. I tried a cleaner/polish called "Doozie" on it that I use on my daughter's piano -- really brings out the shine & attracts less dust & finger prints.

gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

Where on that site are those shown?I saw nothing relating to them at all....I could use one too.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Call their 1-800 number & ask for Russ. Ordinarily they sell the panel with the complete wood trim kit but they will also sell them separately. I bought a whole set on their e-bay listing for the panel & will resell the dash/door trim pieces on ebay to recoup my cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Where on that site are those shown?I saw nothing relating to them at all....I could use one too.
    gale

Thanks,I was looking at these two on fleabay recently but they were each over $400.00 plus shipping from the Fatherland so i wait...

Default Did you get rid of your airbag???

Am I understanding that you replaced your airbag steering wheel with a non-airbag steering wheel? I'm all for mods that make my car handle better, stop quicker, etc., thereby making it safer. But I typically don't think it prudent to perform mods that make it less safe. I hope that doesn't come back to bite you.

By the way, the burl trim piece is very nice!

Grace and piece,

Robert K
    1991 535i

Here's the link to Car Parts Discount for the wood trim:

http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/product/WK_E34

I was really surprised/pleased how high a quality it is, equally as nice or better than the factory trim.

Here are 2 current ebay listings for the same wheel I bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-M...48065506QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-M...45360824QQrdZ1

I bought mine from the same German seller as the 1st listing. He took his sweet time shipping, even after paying extra for airmail, but it came thru in great shape & was insured & didn't have to mess with customs on my end.
    gale

Quote Originally Posted by Robert K
    Am I understanding that you replaced your airbag steering wheel with a non-airbag steering wheel? I'm all for mods that make my car handle better, stop quicker, etc., thereby making it safer. But I typically don't think it prudent to perform mods that make it less safe. I hope that doesn't come back to bite you.

Grace and piece,

Robert K
    1991 535i

I for one learned to drive well before anyone ever heard of airbags.. I even drove my parents '75 Malibu INTO a HOUSE! Broke the windshield with my skull but not visa versa ..I was doing about 40 at age 15 and 1/2 .Had my learners permit and stole the folks car one early AM. Was passing coffe the next morning to my friend in the backseat as the road curved right and the car kept going straight, BANG! over the Granite Curb ,vrooom across someone's lawn and Slam into the side of a house....Nobody too seriously hurt but who's to say. I was a nice mild mannered ,complient, polite young man before that...
    Last edited by Jehu; 10-30-2006 at 08:10 PM.

"A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do". Yes, I realize the added risk of defeating the SRS, yet it's much safer than my 69 Alfa Spider or 58 Porsche coupe or motorcycle. If I were putting someone else in jeopardy, I wouldn't do it. If it were a newer car with passenger airbags, then no, I could not espouse disabling the SRS. As it is, I am the only driver of the vehicle & I do take it out on the track at club events on occasion & yes, despite being a big bloated 7, it is competitive compared to other BMW's, & that's the last place I'd want an airbag to go off on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert K

Grace and piece,

Robert K
    1991 535i
    gale

thats hot!

Looks good!

95 540iA: Euro Clears & More Mods to Come Soon!
    Sacramento, CA USA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast