GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacing bowden cable for interior door pull

Default Replacing bowden cable for interior door pull

ok so tracking number shows that my cable came so I can open my door from the inside (pathetic I know). The cable snapped at the handle on the inside so I have about 7" of wire to pull on, however, how do I free that wire from the latching mechanism, and additionally, how do I reattach the bowden cable back there once I get the old one out? I can prob figure it out by looking but its chilly and I'd like some idea of what I have to do. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    ok so tracking number shows that my cable came so I can open my door from the inside (pathetic I know). The cable snapped at the handle on the inside so I have about 7" of wire to pull on, however, how do I free that wire from the latching mechanism, and additionally, how do I reattach the bowden cable back there once I get the old one out? I can prob figure it out by looking but its chilly and I'd like some idea of what I have to do. Thanks guys.
    Hope you've got small hands, dealing with the locking mechanisms on 5 series front doors is an unbelievable pain in the arse. *Nearly got scars last time*

Good luck.

Do you have to remove it or what

I dont think you can remove it, they put the catch/lock in before they weld the two halves of the door together (at least that's what one of my bmw engineer mates said - promptly followed by a grimace). There's too much excess metal in the way to really see the actual lock mechanism iirc. Didnt help either that there was broken glass everywhere when I was trying to sort it out.

I just remember a lot of frustration and having to do things by feel. You might get lucky though - if they had any sense they would have changed the structure by the time the first couple of bmw engineers started pitching spanners at it. I was only trying to knock it back into alignment after the door had been crunched - not fiddle with the cables, sorry!

You can remove the locking mechanism, but you dont need to to disconnect the bowden cable.

I believe it connects to the circled rod.

Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You can remove the locking mechanism, but you dont need to to disconnect the bowden cable.

I believe it connects to the circled rod.

Edit: I think there is some sort of safety catch on that end as well, which you would need strong fingernails or a small screwdriver to pop off.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

it hooks just like it is on the latch...just make sure you can get your hand behind there... get a small mirror and a flash light to see how/where it is connected, have a grip on the wire and move/twist/jiggle it until it comes out...make sure the window is up, otherwise its more of a pain....

Thanks bro - I'll be doing this later in the parking lot. Car feels so ghetto. I have had the door panel out since like tuesday of last week. Granted I don't drive it much, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    Edit: I think there is some sort of safety catch on that end as well, which you would need strong fingernails or a small screwdriver to pop off.
    Alex, I have been talking about the cable on the inside of the door, not the exterior handle. That is not the hook I am talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    Thanks bro - I'll be doing this later in the parking lot. Car feels so ghetto. I have had the door panel out since like tuesday of last week. Granted I don't drive it much, but still.
    Heh try it being your daily driver and forgetting TWICE to hook it up (inspection/install of window regulator) then being so pissed for a week you don't bother to do it.

NovceGuru
    1993 525iA M50TU
    Black on Black...need pics
    208,888 miles

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast