GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: :: Short Shifter Installed

Default :: Short Shifter Installed

BMA had a sale a while back for a short shifter (e30, e36, e34...) and I bought it. Month later with Bruno's help, it's in.

=====================
    SHORTSHIFTKIT
    Short Shift Kit Fits E30 / E32 / E34 / E36 & E24 Cars Shortens The Throw Up To 30% For Quicker Cleaner Shifts. Kit Includes: New Shift Lever, Shift Lever Bearing Bushing, Bearing Sleeve Bushings, Seals And Clips.
    =====================

Given the part number, it's a Z3 shifter if I remember correctly... not M-Z3 because it's 'stock' bent.

What can I say? The throw is incredibly short, and much, much more nocky that stock. Having replaced the bush bearing as well, everything is nice and tight. I really can't believe how sloppy and long the stock throw was until this.

The kit I got from BMA didn't include the bitch clip, but somehow, resourcefully... Bruno managed to pry it intact... blind! Of course, if it weren't for the price (got the kit much cheaper than normal), I would go with the Z8 (like you told me months ago, Bruno).

I bought a nice dark chrome carbon fiber Ractive shift knob a while back. It's very weighty and was going to install it if I didn't get the shifter in. I tried it now, and it makes it incredibly hard to shift. The Ractive knob, while very VERY pretty installed, reduces the leverage by so much that it's a chore even to do a 2-3 shift... not to mention it magnifies the nockyness. Meh. It was on special only for $10. I'll save it for someday.

Now I'm using the 'stock' eBay acquired ///M logo shifter and it feels great.

By the way, can you tell I'm in 3rd gear in that picture?

Next project? Install the snow tires

RESOURCE: http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/dri...ift_lever.html

Attached Images Attached Images    
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

I read on the UUC site their Rob Knob solid steel shift knowb aids the ease of shifting with the short shift by virtue of its weight. Is the weight just too much to get started with any ease with less leverage?
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    I read on the UUC site their Rob Knob solid steel shift knowb aids the ease of shifting with the short shift by virtue of its weight. Is the weight just too much to get started with any ease with less leverage?
    Indeed. I found the opposite when I installed my pricy UUC SSK. With the OE knob shifts were tough. Adding the RK2 gave the inertia needed to assist the shifts.

Here it is with my custom, ground to fit M logo. Coincidentally, I took this picture in 3rd cog as well.

Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

Well, the problem with the Ractive knob is that it shortens the length by another centimeter STILL... which is no good. Add the fact that throw is shorter, overall length is shorter AND a shorter knob... no good even being so weighty.

The knob Anthony has is a good size... even that is taller than the sexy Ractive one.

Quote Originally Posted by Qube
    Well, the problem with the Ractive knob is that it shortens the length by another centimeter STILL... which is no good. Add the fact that throw is shorter, overall length is shorter AND a shorter knob... no good even being so weighty.

The knob Anthony has is a good size... even that is taller than the sexy Ractive one.
    Interesting. The UUC lever is height adjustable and (IIRC) at its longest setting is the same length as the OE lever. I run it at the lowest setting, about 1cm shorter.
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

materiamage Guest

I just saved a cart full of stuff at the BMA site (900 bucks worth), and wouldnt you know...I have this kit in there as well. I just have to wait till the first of the month when deposit is made to my checking account, and then im sending the order off.
    By the way, I have no clue what the "bitch clip" is. Can someone give me the part number please; seems like I may need it.

You do not need a new bitch clip - unless you break it on removal.
    This clip latches the shift carrier to the top of the gear box. It's often called "bitch" b/c it is somewhat difficult to remove. When you are ready to tackle this, just search BITCH CLIP, and you will find all the advice you could ever need.
    Support your American Flag Merchant Marine
    No BMW at this time, eyeing a 91 318iS. 00 Saab 9-5, 89 Bronco XLT, 05 Kawi Z1k, 00 Ducati 748S Bip

I remember reading somewhere - forgot where - that a weighted shift knob is not such a good part to have with a short shifter installation. We know that the advantage of having a heavier mass helps to overcome the difficulty associated with the reduced leverage in the linkage. But the argument is associated with the "keep your hand off the shifter when not changing gears" rule.
    This is b/c you dont want the weight of your arm to carry through the linkage to the gearbox where something inside that mess something is going to rub and cause wear n tear. The same applies with the weight of the knob. OEM konbs are designed and manufactured to a specification - one of the items is weight.
    Support your American Flag Merchant Marine
    No BMW at this time, eyeing a 91 318iS. 00 Saab 9-5, 89 Bronco XLT, 05 Kawi Z1k, 00 Ducati 748S Bip

Did we ever ID what the shifter is actually from ? I am due to crawl under and redo the shifter in my car - was curious what they were selling.

D.-
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

Yeah Z3 shifter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast