GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Can't reset inspection lights

Default Can't reset inspection lights

I am having problem resetting my service inspection light on my e34. I tried taking it to a workshop where they had the reset tool. It didn't work. Tried grounding the pin 7 with pin 19 or with the struts nut myself using a piece of wire and holding it for 12 sec while the key was in on position. I am not sure what to do next. I know in my 188 325 there were batteries in the instrument cluster that caused service light not to reset. But on e34 (1991 525i) there is no such thing. any ideas? may be one of the relays not working? please help. thnx

Default Keep trying

you may not have a good ground, or the wire is not fully connecting to the terminal.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

I couldn't get the Oil Service lights to go out on my 94' 530 following the standard procedure found on this site. I accidentally stumbled across a variation in the same thread that DID work.

With the key OFF I installed a homemade jumper wire between the required pins. I then turned the key ON to the "RUN" position and counted to 8 seconds. At 8 seconds I disconnected the wire with the key still in the ON position. That did the trick on mine.

For "Service" reset the procedure is the same method but wait 17 to 20 seconds before pulling the wire.

Hope this helps.
    DJ
    Spasso
    530iT, 525 5-speed , 328is.

Default Read my reply in this thread, this is the procedure for you

car

Quote Originally Posted by tazman
    I am having problem resetting my service inspection light on my e34. I tried taking it to a workshop where they had the reset tool. It didn't work. Tried grounding the pin 7 with pin 19 or with the struts nut myself using a piece of wire and holding it for 12 sec while the key was in on position. I am not sure what to do next. I know in my 188 325 there were batteries in the instrument cluster that caused service light not to reset. But on e34 (1991 525i) there is no such thing. any ideas? may be one of the relays not working? please help. thnx

Default still didn't work

Thanks all for replying. I tried all the variation and still the damn thing didn't get reset. Tried shorting pin 7 with pin 19 with ignition off position to start with then turn the ignition on, wait 12 sec, took out the jumper , put back the cap and turing the ignition off and then back on. Nothing. I guess I shall keep trying. I also checked pin 19 and a strut nut with a volt meter in between. got zero resistance. So I guess pin 19 is a good ground. Not sure what to do next.

I too have a problem with the speedo cluster not resetting after pads were changed out with the sensors swapped for new ones. Any connection to this?