GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 1991 535iM - looking for a roof rack

Default 1991 535iM - looking for a roof rack

I need to be able to pack more stuff, and 2 bikes to boot.
    I seem to require a roof rack with a Thule-like box AND the capability to rack 2 bikes.
    Anyone have something that works that they'd like to sell, or have ideas on how to proceed.
    Ebay is full of stuff buy they don't seem to work with the E34...
    New gear will run about 500$!

Thanks in advance, Thanos

todd Guest

Default roof rook

I have a thin ski box made by Karrite, which is owned by Thule. Love the size of it and can easily fit 2 bikes on it if the trays are facing opposite directions.

Default 535i 1991 roof rack

Do you have it for sale? What precisely is the configuration? Do you have box AND slots for 2 bikes?

If you have the 50" bars you should be able to carry 2 bikes and a box. For the bike holders I use the Thule VeloVice...they have a cool clamp to hold the forks down - with the ability to add a lock in minutes. I've not used a box, but I've carried 4 surfboards and 2 bikes w/o any problems. A fairing cuts down on the noise.

Now that I have a few moments, here's what you'll need:

369 Specialty Foot Pack (for cars with our types of gutters)

LB50 Load Bars (they are sold in pairs...these are 50" wide; you could go wider, but you risk hanging too far over the vehicle)

589 Velo Vise Fork Mount (long tray, fork mounts, adding a lock is easy, just the price of a lock)

They make wheel holders, I just stuff them in the trunk. The wheel holders are about 35.00/ea.

Default Now that I ...

Thank you Rick. Great help. I will price the stuff at a website, and poke around on ebay as well.

If you buy on ebay BE CAREFUL. Some of the folks will list an item as a Thule 591 (long tray rack, about 72.00 new) and it's actually not. I've purchased from these guys before: http://www.orsracksdirect.com/ with good luck (in VT I think). Rocky Mounts makes a 49.00 rack, not sure how it locks though. REI sometimes has this stuff on sale also. (Hell, try froogle.com if you want to shop)

If you want cheap, I have some older clone rack that I'll let go for 40.00 shipped. It has some scratches and is used, but if you want something for around town this might to it. You could also call some local outdoor centers to see what they have. I bought some of my stuff local because shipping ate up any savings I would have gotten from mail order.

Go with REI if you have one close. They have Thule and Yak components, but Rick has a good list for you to start with.

ORS beat REI for pricing, but REI has dropped their prices a lot it seems.

Get a faring. Trust me. When you're doing 80mph with 2 bikes and other items you'll appreciate it.

(I did buy my stuff from 530, so you might find someone on here who's selling used rack bits.)

Default thanks

Thanks all. Will look into REI, ebay, and local retailers.
    Thanos