GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mystery connector question

Default Mystery connector question

I am in the process of trying to figure out why the sunroof doesn't function at all in my new 1992 525iT. I checked the fuse (#32) under the rear seat and it looks ok. However, I did find an unplugged connector right next to the rear power distribution box. Does anyone here know what it does? Should I simply reconnect and see what happens or will I mess something up?

Here is a picture (I have circled both ends of the connector in red):

Attached Images Attached Images  
    1992 BMW 525iT (sold)
    1998 V70R

Default results

Well, I plugged the mystery connector in. It must be related to the sunroof because now the roof seems to want to move when I press the switch. I say "wants" to move, because although it does make a sound,not much happens. Seems like something must be out of synch. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    1992 BMW 525iT (sold)
    1998 V70R

Default Touring roof

is a load of fun.

Try to push the switch back & forth. don't just push it in...that makes it want go into auto close mode.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Probably the previous owner disconnected the plugs as it might always draw power and the battery get's empty?

ditto comment above...if you have an owners manual...please pull it out and read up on how to use the sunroof. Because of its complexity...you may be just pushing it once. If you were to stand outside the car, then reach in and push the button once...what you'll probably see is that the top panel is making its first move which is moving the rear end of the 1st panel up and over the 2nd panel.

The next move of the sunroof switch will set the sunroof in the motion that you've pushed the button...and either the front panel or rear panel will begin to move. But if you are sitting inside the car and you press the button just once...you won't see this happening...in fact, you won't see the panels move until the second press.

Please read your owners manual if you have one.
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

Default thanks

OK, I have a manual but haven't made my way through the whole thing yet. I am a slow reader. Thanks for the advice. Will try it and get back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7
    ditto comment above...if you have an owners manual...please pull it out and read up on how to use the sunroof. Because of its complexity...you may be just pushing it once. If you were to stand outside the car, then reach in and push the button once...what you'll probably see is that the top panel is making its first move which is moving the rear end of the 1st panel up and over the 2nd panel.

The next move of the sunroof switch will set the sunroof in the motion that you've pushed the button...and either the front panel or rear panel will begin to move. But if you are sitting inside the car and you press the button just once...you won't see this happening...in fact, you won't see the panels move until the second press.

Please read your owners manual if you have one.
    1992 BMW 525iT (sold)
    1998 V70R

Default Once you get it going

clean the tracks with a silicon spray lube...clean and lube it well.

Check the gutter system to make sure it drains.

get a cup of water and carefully pour it into the corners of the gutters, just a little at a time...now stand back and see if water exits behind the front wheel or just in front of the rear wheel..if water sits in the gutter, you'll need to unplug them with a piece of wire running it gently though it to clear the drains.

Good luck

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Default nothing doing

Well, I tried everything, including reading the manual that came with the car. No dice. There is no movement at all, just a brief sound, no matter which way I push the switch. I just ordered a Bentley manual, I am hoping there will be more info in there. Wife needs the car tomorrow so I am going to quit for a while. Good news is that while poking around the car I found an alpine cd changer in one of the rear storage bins that actually works.

Thanks to all!
    1992 BMW 525iT (sold)
    1998 V70R

be thankful its shut and not open!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

When I acquired my 525i the sunroof on it was seized solid...

You'd push the button, it'd make a noise and then stall completely, you could hear the motor stall.
    The sunroof was actually seized in its tracks, and litterally one day I was so frustrated trying to get it to work that I 'Fixed' it. Fixing it involved getting hold of the sunroof metal through the fabric, pushing the open button and giving the roof a damned good yank when the motor started to stall...

*Crack* and it's been working spot on ever since.

Just a thought... try physically moving it as the motor does and it might be an obstruction that you can force it through...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast