GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 1990 535 steering 'knock'

Default 1990 535 steering 'knock'

Hi guys have searched and searched and turned up only one thread that was slightly similar... but just not quite.

My steering is fine at speed and turning normal corners, and hard cornering etc. But at low speeds, ie turning into a carpark (or reversing out of one) I get a very loud knocking noise, it only happens once and is quite loud. I have had the car at the workshop a few times and they have apparently been unable to diagnose it. Do you think my actual steering box maybe on its way out, as all steering components/suspension etc seem to be okay and all tight... Thanks in advance for any help,
    Cheers, Nick

1989 E-Firty Tooring - 2.9
    1989 E-Firty For - 535is

you will be banned for not searching correctly!

jk

Never heard of 1 clunk, aside the brackets being cracked check if the pump is loose with a big screwdriver or other favorite tool.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

My car had similar symptoms. Make sure the large threaded nut or ring that holds each front shocker insert into the top of the strut is tight - I mean really tight. I tightened both mine about 1 eighth of a turn and got rid of mystery clunks, after I had checked or replaced just about everything else.
    You can get at them easily without removing the wheels - just jack up under the front crossmember (use stands also,for safety) so the wheels drop down relative to the body - this extends the coil spring so you have good access to the nut through the coils. .

Bill G

check the backing plate for the brakes.. it may be bend out of shape and occassionally make contact to other parts..
    95 M-sport SOLD now NSX