GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My ticket situation...

Default My ticket situation...

Hey guys, had my court hearing today where I represented myself (no lawyer) on an infraction the cop stated was 106 in a 55 and a careless driving ticket. The officer called me into the room before the hearing and wanted to hear what I had to say. I told him I didn't feel the speed was accurate and that I was falsely clocked at 106 - he gave me a lot of attitude and cut me off in talking etc. My mother was present which I am sure helped a lot - my mother, thankfully, is real supportive and knows I accept I was wrong etc., and stood behind me the whole time. The officer claimed that whilst leaving the BlockBuster parking lot I squeeled my tires and "broke traction with the road" through a left hand turn. I told him that I too heard that noise and suspected it was the other car he pulled over but no way did my tires squeal at all - I then said, if he had witnessed this alleged careless driving and the fact that the black car was traveling at a distance too close to my car, why did he let it escalate and pull the black car/me over at that point? He had no answer. He then proceded to tell me he followed me for "8 miles" yet I was stopped and pulled over only .92 miles from the BlockBuster video I left (can you say ********?). Anyway, he wasn't a push over by any means, but I got the ticket reduced from 106 in a 55 mph zone to a 85 in a 55 zone which means I do not lose my license for 15 days. The points are still there I think, but that's fine as my insurance doesn't change (says the insurance company) and thus there's no real problem.

I've learned from this - I am now a granny behind the wheel of my car (not that I wasn't previously!) and this will never happen again. I am just glad I represented myself and got the offense reduced rather than spending $1,000 for a laywer. The end.

Are you saying he clocked you at 106 MPH on a 55 MPH road? Didn't he have proof? Or was it just his word against yours?

Good deal!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by stu1
    Are you saying he clocked you at 106 MPH on a 55 MPH road? Didn't he have proof? Or was it just his word against yours?
    He said he was using a timing device like VASCAR... except I never left third gear... which is limited to what, 89 mph? We didn't even get there.

Quote Originally Posted by stu1
    Usually in instance like this, from my experience the officer probably said "the individual was clocked using a tracker device tuned by a blh blah blah...."

Remember, I said that showing up alone will get it reduced. I always do it, and save the money that would've gone to that lawyer. Good stuff Jon!
    Rondell 58's|Eibach Springs|B&B Tri-Flow Exhaust|Shadowline|S/D Rotors|KYB Struts

Just slightly OT (if I may), what's the rules in the States wrt speeding. Generally in the UK if you are clocked over 100MPH it's goodbye license time.

It goes by state. But technically, there is no "jail time" speed... just 31+ mph over the limit is 15 days suspension and 5 points on license. At 11 points in PA you get your license taken away. But we all know my E34 cannot do 100+.

But we all know my E34 cannot do 100+.

Interesting system of justice.

At least it worked.

Thank goodness justice was done.

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

only 15days.. wow, i should move to PA..

Where i am, if i go 10km over the speed limit i lose my licent for 6months...
    11/88 535iA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast