GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: what's the best way to test a coil pack? thanks.

Default what's the best way to test a coil pack? thanks.

tim s.

Electronic technicians use a device called a ringer to test yokes and flyback transformers commonly found in television sets. A ringer injects a sinusoidal signal into one winding and measures how quickly the signal decays when removed. If the winding is shorted it won't ring...which means the signal decays very quickly. Sort of like a bell ringing after being struck...a cracked bell won't ring. I use the simple ringer described in the following link for electronic repair.
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/fbt.htm

I've used this tester on "old style" ignition coils found in E12s, E21s, E28s and they do "ring". Although I've never used it on a coil pack nor have I ever used it on a known defective ignition coil, it does an outstanding job of identifying shorted yokes and flyback transformers so I know it works. Most local TV repair shops have a similar tester and should be willing to test your coils for a nominal fee. You will likely have to take all your coil packs to the shop and compare the results from all the coils. I'd be happy to test any old coil packs and report the results using this tester. Anyone replace all their coil packs and be willing to send me the old ones for a test? I need a known defective coil and a good coil to make this a valid test. Any volunteers?

Paul Shovestul
    .....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.