GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One less e34 in our midst - Mine has moved on...

Default One less e34 in our midst - Mine has moved on...

The e34’s are all gone from the O’Connor automotive stable. The last to leave was my 535, the reincarnated Black Chariot of Expensiveness. Somehow, when Joe Ording let his Chariot go, it’s soul must have channeled through the forum and inhabited my car. In any event, the car was sold last Friday, to my mechanic, who was quite happy to buy it. This closes my e34 chapter, started a number of years ago with the Wife’s 525iT, sold last summer to my nephew.

I pick up the new vehicle tonight, and I’ll get some pictures up as soon as possible. I don’t know when I’ll be back at work or when my wife will see me again for that matter. Just after 5:30 this eveningI will pull out of Manhattan BMW with a 2004 330i ZHP – the US Performance Package. It’s about 60 miles home, we’ll see how many miles actually pass before I get there. The only glitch is the potential for gully-washing downpours this evening. Thank goodness for DSC?

6 speed with a short-shifter, reinforced and lightened flywheel, hotter cams, revised ECU software, free-flowing exhaust, M-tuned suspension, M body kit, Alcantara sport interior, 18” wheels, 225/40 rubber up front and 255/35 rubber anchoring the rear, and a shortened rear end (3:07 vs 2:93, from the -xi) to top it all off. The US ZHP Performance Package basically loads up a 330i sedan with all of the M goodies from BMW Individual. Of course, this is the US Market, so there’s no real “Individual” choice in what you get. I am just lucky in that I’m getting all the goodies from the factory that I would have chosen anyway.

The BMW Canada web site has better pictures and easier-to-browse information than the US site, though it appears the Canadians do not get the shorter rear end in their cars?
    BMW Canada web page - 330i M

For me, it was time to move on. All I’ve really been interested in lately is time with the kids, not time under the car (go figure!). When I farmed out a new radiator and sway bar links last month I knew that maintenance (read: labor costs) would get expensive again soon, and I decided I’d rather pay depreciation than maintenance. Perhaps a different and non-possessed 535 would have treated me better, perhaps a different commute would have provided more time.

This new car will also give me the ability to schedule track days and autocrosses without wondering if a nagging vibration is going to become a massive part failure in the middle of a turn. I know lots of people here have lots of fun with e34’s at autocrosses and tracks, but this ZHP is built for it right from the factory. I won’t have to do any prep – just drive to the event and drink coffee to wake the hell up. Of course I won’t raise as many eyebrows as a “lard-assed e34” hustling around with such vigor, but that’s okay.

In any event, I’ll still lurk around this joint. You all have been a great part of the ownership experience and much more. From giving me the balls to rip a car apart, to giving me the chance to play with a bunch of CGI scripts (Ed thought I had some experience with that stuff!!!), I’ve done nothing but learn around here. Thanks much everybody.

--Micah O'C
    '04 330i ZHP
    formerly '90 535im
    formerly '92 525iT

Good Luck Micah!!

:'(

always sad to see an E34 go....

i was almost tempted to dump the M5 when the headgasket went, just pawn it off to someone who would fix it and buy an E30.....

I have to say, reading some inspiring stories and lurking on these boards really helped change THAT around. Now i just need to figure out how to afford an E30 325iS and an E34 M5....

Best of luck with the new whip though, i hope you still take the time to do SOME personal mods!

Default Funny you say that (m)

My g/f friend bought a 2003 330Ci 5-spd on Saturday! And we got engaged Sunday.....so I guess I now have an E46 also....LOL. Time to learn a lot about another car Congrats on a kick ass car Micah.....I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Last edited by Scott H; 04-13-2004 at 03:08 PM.

Damn...another warrior gone awry.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default It's pretty much a modern-day E34

Width:
    330i: 68.46" 535i: 68.9"

Height:
    330i: 55.7" 535i 55.6"

Wheelbase:
    330i: 107.3" 535i: 108.7"

Length:
    330i: 176.0" 535: 185.8" (Sorry guy, you're losing 10" of length )

Weight:
    330i: 3300lbs 535: 3570lbs

HP:
    330i: 235 535i: 208

Torque:
    330i: 222 535i: 225

So the new car has more hp, is shorter, almost 300lbs lighter, and has MASSIVE (325mm front/320mm rear) brakes.

When are you coming down to show it off already . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MicahO
    The e34’s are all gone from the O’Connor automotive stable. The last to leave was my 535, the reincarnated Black Chariot of Expensiveness. Somehow, when Joe Ording let his Chariot go, it’s soul must have channeled through the forum and inhabited my car. In any event, the car was sold last Friday, to my mechanic, who was quite happy to buy it. This closes my e34 chapter, started a number of years ago with the Wife’s 525iT, sold last summer to my nephew.

I pick up the new vehicle tonight, and I’ll get some pictures up as soon as possible. I don’t know when I’ll be back at work or when my wife will see me again for that matter. Just after 5:30 this eveningI will pull out of Manhattan BMW with a 2004 330i ZHP – the US Performance Package. It’s about 60 miles home, we’ll see how many miles actually pass before I get there. The only glitch is the potential for gully-washing downpours this evening. Thank goodness for DSC?

6 speed with a short-shifter, reinforced and lightened flywheel, hotter cams, revised ECU software, free-flowing exhaust, M-tuned suspension, M body kit, Alcantara sport interior, 18” wheels, 225/40 rubber up front and 255/35 rubber anchoring the rear, and a shortened rear end (3:07 vs 2:93, from the -xi) to top it all off. The US ZHP Performance Package basically loads up a 330i sedan with all of the M goodies from BMW Individual. Of course, this is the US Market, so there’s no real “Individual” choice in what you get. I am just lucky in that I’m getting all the goodies from the factory that I would have chosen anyway.

The BMW Canada web site has better pictures and easier-to-browse information than the US site, though it appears the Canadians do not get the shorter rear end in their cars?

For me, it was time to move on. All I’ve really been interested in lately is time with the kids, not time under the car (go figure!). When I farmed out a new radiator and sway bar links last month I knew that maintenance (read: labor costs) would get expensive again soon, and I decided I’d rather pay depreciation than maintenance. Perhaps a different and non-possessed 535 would have treated me better, perhaps a different commute would have provided more time.

This new car will also give me the ability to schedule track days and autocrosses without wondering if a nagging vibration is going to become a massive part failure in the middle of a turn. I know lots of people here have lots of fun with e34’s at autocrosses and tracks, but this ZHP is built for it right from the factory. I won’t have to do any prep – just drive to the event and drink coffee to wake the hell up. Of course I won’t raise as many eyebrows as a “lard-assed e34” hustling around with such vigor, but that’s okay.

In any event, I’ll still lurk around this joint. You all have been a great part of the ownership experience and much more. From giving me the balls to rip a car apart, to giving me the chance to play with a bunch of CGI scripts (Ed thought I had some experience with that stuff!!!), I’ve done nothing but learn around here. Thanks much everybody.

--Micah O'C
    '04 330i ZHP
    formerly '90 535im
    formerly '92 525iT
    Drew Z
    Formerly 540iT/6, now . . . 3, 5, 7

Default You'll be missed, Micah. Great new ride, though! Oh...

One thing I'd really like to fine out about your new car.- When you take your foot off the gas to shift, does the RPM remain high (Maybe 3000) for a second or two? My '99 E46 did that, and it was a constant source of irritation.

--Micah O'C
    '04 330i ZHP
    formerly '90 535im
    formerly '92 525iT

Default Damn, that grill is ugly!! :-)

Other than that, it sounds like you will have a fun car to drive.

Will it have turbine style wheels - I would hate to think of your brakes overheating.

Good luck and enjoy it, Micah.

Dick Schneiders

--Micah O'C
    '04 330i ZHP
    formerly '90 535im
    formerly '92 525iT

Default Good luck, great car! Probably going to try and find a CPO'd one next myself

--Micah O'C
    '04 330i ZHP
    formerly '90 535im
    formerly '92 525iT

Stick around and share with us what it's like to own the 330i ZHP.

I appreciate your decision - there are day's I feel the same way!

Jeff
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast