GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT Computer XP Restore Help

Default OT Computer XP Restore Help

okay, somethings up with my machine the past few days. What I want to do is a restore but... system restore wont run with the errors rstrui.exe and srrstr.dll. The dll was replaced and still wont restore.

So, what I want to do is save the restore points and reinstall the restore program. If I just fix the program it will delete the restore points rendering it useless.

follow me so far?

Where are the restore point files saved so I can copy them, move them to another folder and then pop them back into the same folder after reinstalling the restore program.

Is this even possible? I did research but my idea is not covered anywhere, all lead to reinstalling the prog and loosing all restore points.

Thanks for any help.

I used the search function but didn't find the info I need...lol
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

'90 535iSE Auto (AE+EAT) 123k miles
    '86 F288 69k miles
    '06('89)- PGE 2.0DOHC Turbo
    '03 A160LE 19k miles
    1914 Stellite E2A (no odometer!)
    (+ others I daren't mention here)
    www.pyghtle.com

I'm using Error killer, and Spybot. They both work great, and I paid $20 each.

fixing restore worked but lost all my restore points even tho I copied them into a difft folder. any more ideas?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Just for shits and giggles. Did you try to delete your last restore point? The one you just did? I would try the Error killer program. I had something like 100+ errors on my pc, and it repaired all of them. Combined with McAfee and this, I have no problems. Do you remember the thread that dropped a trojan in my pc? This got rid of it totally.

on my way to check out error killer...
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

dont trust system restore, it doesnt work as well as one might hope.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

System restore are registry settings along with files. You can't move a folder. And the registry is ecrypted information without rhyme or reason, instead of a text file, so you'll have a hard time figuring out what to copy from it. It's encrypted and hexed and randomized because you are all moo cows to b. gates. Really.

The system restore option in real life is called a backup. If you are relying on what breaks to keep you from breaking, you will be disappointed. Backup onto another media or drive. Do a full backup, then daily incremental in 2 week rotations if you have anything worth keeping.

And if you want to be able to fix your stuff, you should install linux. You can actually read the registry because it's a named after the app and is in one directory(/etc) and is a text file. But you are car folks, and I'm sure you've got enough to do. I can't wait until linux is installed by default on computers, and a it costs $200 more for windows. But you live in a monopoly, so when you buy a computer, they still charge you for Microsoft windows even though you have linux installed. Sweet deal, huh. I love that guy.

windows isnt that bad, but system restore is.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

While its too late to really help you, you might consider looking into Acronis TrueImage. It is very similar to Norton Ghost in what it does, but imo, its better.

Just my 2 cents.
    -patrick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast