GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Front brakes pulling to one side + ABS fault after brake system work

Default Front brakes pulling to one side + ABS fault after brake system work

Hey Gang-

Just did a search in the Archives on "anti lock"....it seems that my ABS light coming on sporadically might be caused by a bad wheel sensor, however, I've also noticed the following and was hoping for some add'l feedback:

This began with the ABS "pedal pulse" occuring when making a turn into my driveway at less than 1 MPH, followed by the "anti lock" warning light and the ABS system disabling itself. Now, the "pedal pulse" no longer happens, but the ABS system keeps tripping unless I stay on smooth pavement. (Sure sounds like either a short or a bad sensor somewhere, right?). Here's the odd part:

Now, my left-front caliper is grabbing too much (or maybe my right-front caliper isn't grabbing enough), resulting in front end pulling to the left when I apply the brakes moderately. My brake fluid resevoir and both my front spindles/hubs where replaced 2 weeks ago, and because the hubs are an updated part, they also required new ABS sending units to be installed.

Does it sound like I need to take this thing back to my indy for a once-over? Seems a little fishy to me. I haven't noticed any brake fluid loss, but I do know if reduced pressure occurs in one brake channel, it could cause both the steering wheel to pull to one side, and could potentially trip the ABS system, too.

Comments?

Thanks for the bandwidth....

Tim G
    '91 535iM

Do you want a set of working 535i front calipers? I have a pair after upgrading the front brakes. The carriers are not available though, just the calipers (and I guess the rotors and pads, but they're well worn). If you're around NY you're welcome to come pick them up at no cost - I'm about an hour and a half north of NYC.

Custom Turbocharged 1991 535iM - 135k mi.

Take it back... one caliper is probably sticking causing pulling... but if you didn't have this problem before the update, then it has to be something they did. You can check the brake sticking by jacking up the wheel and spin it... and compare it to your other side... Front axle.