GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instrument Cluster Conversion

Default Instrument Cluster Conversion

Just did a conversion of my euro M5 cluster for installation into my 92 525iT. Since I didn't want to learn on my good 92 cluster with nothing wrong with it I found a 93 525iT cluster on ebay and purchased it cheap. I separated the back from the cluster and also the front with the clear bezel. Did the same for the euro M5 cluster. Removed the tachometer from the M5 cluster and installed it in the 93 cluster. I then removed the red needle from the M5 clusters KPH speedometer and installed it on the 93 MPH speedometer, the red pointer needles just pop off. I also removed the red needle from the M5 clusters gas gauge and used it on the 93 clusters gas gauge. I also bought a really nice set of gauge surround bezels off ebay and there are a breeze to install. No sticky backing or pieces to mess with on these. They just snap into the cluster front cover and can be installed from the back of the front cover without separating the clear outer piece. I just reinstalled with the M5 front cover on the 93 cluster with my original 92 back cover without disturbing the original coding plug. The 92 and 93 backs were identical anyway. The resulting piece looks pretty decent and works properly.

Paul

But why?

'90 E34 M5
    '89 E34 535i
    '74 R90S
    MB 560SEC
    '74 Jensen Interceptor
    '54++ VW Subaru Turbo hybrid
    etc

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella
    But why?
    Whatever the reason, it's nice to have an oil pressure gage....

Nice work.

Can I ask why did you keep the sticker for the unleaded gasoline? I don't have this on my cluster, so I'm not sure if its a sticker that's stuck on the outside or inside. IMO it looks hell ugly.

So does the oil temp guage work then? Or is it showing 100 deg/30 MPG!

Cheers,

Shaun

Whatever the reason, it's nice to have an oil pressure gage....
    That's oil temp, not pressure.

'90 E34 M5
    '89 E34 535i
    '74 R90S
    MB 560SEC
    '74 Jensen Interceptor
    '54++ VW Subaru Turbo hybrid
    etc

+1. I can't imagine it works properly--did you re-wire this to show oil temp? Aren't the red lines different for each engine as well? The application looks nice, don't get me wrong, I just wonder if the gauges are properly telling you what's going on with a completely different motor than was stock for that cluster.

D'oh...

Quote Originally Posted by VentoGT
    +1. I can't imagine it works properly--did you re-wire this to show oil temp? Aren't the red lines different for each engine as well? The application looks nice, don't get me wrong, I just wonder if the gauges are properly telling you what's going on with a completely different motor than was stock for that cluster.
    As for completely different motors, you're forgetting that the 535i, 530i, 540i, and 735i & 740i all use the same cluster and they'll swap out too. Why should the M5 be any different?

It's a pretty simple matter just to take the gauges out and check the numbers on them. They are the same between the US and Euro pieces so my conclusion was the electronics really control what the gauges do and they do. The only one that doesn't work as indicated is the oil temp gauge, it works as if it were the standard mileage gauge. That can be wired to work, I understand, if a temp gauge sender is installed and a little more wiring is done but not really interested in that though. You can also do the instrument cluster self test to make sure everything is working properly.

The only real problem that got me for awhile was the gas gauge wasn't reading correctly, it would only go up to between 1/4 and 1/2. I swapped out two different gauges with no change before I noticed the real problem was the bottom on the gas gauge needle was contacting the cluster ring I installed. The fix was to just file a bit off the bottom of the needle and repaint it. As for the Euro unleaded sticker in front, I like it, in fact I might just go ahead an put the Euro gas gauge back in it just to be different.

Paul

So did you change the face of the gauge on the Tach? That tach looks exactly like my M5 tach. I would imagine that your 525 has a completely different redline than the S38 motor...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast