GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Mystery? (Sorta Long)

Default Mystery? (Sorta Long)

Ok so, I'll start from the beginning, I got some 5.0 injectors awhile back, didnt like how loud and chattery they are. So I took them out and put my old ones back in, had a problem with the 6th cylinder injector getting it back in. Finally got it in, car ran like crap idle was bad, and felt not hesitant but um, shuddery under accelleration and only accelleration. It also seems very rich running my economy has dropped significantly. I also can smell gas in the exhaust as before I couldnt.
    So I've replaced the Plugs, Wires, Dist Cap, Dist Rotor, Fuel Pressure Reg., Mass Air Flow Sensor, Idle Control Valve and Oxygen Sensor. I've re-adjusted my TPS aswell. Still the same thing.
    (As a side note, immedately after replacing the Dist cap and rotor car idled perfect no rough idle or sort of sign of being bad, for about 30 seconds and went back to being its horrible rich gas guzzling self )

This shudder is only felt under I'd say about 3000-3500 RPM at or close to WOT. I've tried unplugging the Water temp. sensor (that made the idle change), the Idle Control Valve (didnt do too much), the TPS (that made the idle go up 1000 RPM to idle at 1100 RPM). I've pulled off the oil fill cap; Car almost died. I've removed the dip-stick, same deal car almost died. I've removed the gas cap, no change at all? (not sure if there is suppose to be?)

So tonight I reset the DME thinking that might help. Didn't. I used to get code 1222 Lambda Control 1. So that led me to believe its all of the recently stated I've replaced.
    Not so.
    After resetting the DME I get code 1444... Which made absolutely NO sence in my mind because the car STILL ran like crap! Nothing had changed but the DME thinks other wise?

My question is? Why, Why why why?
    Is it just because it needs to be tuned or something?
    Is my DME toast?
    Do I have a bad ground?
    Could I have a vaccum leak somewhere? How do I test for this?
    And what should my vaccum be at?

Any and all help is muchly appreiciated!
    Thanks for reading.
    Tim

So the car was running fine but you decided to change injectors. New injectors apparently ran OK, but loud. Put the old ones back in, having trouble installing #6. Car immediately begins to run like ****.
    So instead of replacing everything in the ignition system why not look at the last thing you messed with before the problem started, the injectors.

and esp#6
    Gone but not forgotten

Well after I put my stock ones in I figured, Ok, Since its started with this i'll put the 5.0 ones back in. Still same problem, So thats what led me to believe that its not them.

check the injector connections, if its not getting the right signal it can shut the spark off causeing the gas smell.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

UPDATE*
    So I adjusted my TPS last night, I'm not sure how well you adjust it but now when the throttle closes you hear a click in the TPS.
    Any who, now, when I let off the gas it feels like the car is falling on its face and wanting to stall but doesnt.
    Also I have no rev-limiter why?

no rev limiter? How did you test this...haha You might have a performance chip in there.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

no no, it just feels like the motor cuts off now and its upwards of 5000 rpm and when it does the CEL comes on for a split second but it doesnt give me a code only 1222. and its not a nice cut off either, it really hits hard. almost as if theres no fuel or the dme is killing the spark or something?

Doesn't each injector give off a resistance back to the computer kind of like an "at each cylinder sensor" or sorts? Have you reset the computer at all in any of these removal and reinstalling instances? Maybe its just freaking out trying to run the new injectors on old readings and vice-versa?

"Scarlet" `97 540/6 with sleepy mods.
    "Box Car" '87 535isA - Old School Charm, new school Flair

hmmm that could be... i am going to swap them out tomorrow morning