GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Road trip prep. All done (almost).

Default Road trip prep. All done (almost).

So i didn’t know whether Rolf’s water pump had ever been changed.
    A 12 year old, 115K mile 325 that has a 2000mile week ahead of it; Chicago-New Orleans and back.
    Figured better safe than sorry.
    I was safe actually. Nice stamped metal impeller in there. Labeled as a BMW part.
    The Geba ready to go in has a cast impeller. Hmmmm. Oh well, would hate to waste a shiny new part.
    The rad had been banged at some point too and while it’s tiny leak seemed to have subsided, i figure better to just do the whole 9 yards. Again shiny/new vs.........
    Fan clutch came off w/ an adjustable wrench and a square shafted screwdriver. *whew* Replaced that too.
    Now about that thermostat/cover. I got a metal cover w/ a groove. Had the o-ring for the thermo but the profile gasket went awol (if i ever had it). While i was picking up some other parts i grabbed a paper gasket from the dealer.
    Then i reread some of the posts abouth this. At 2am this morning
    Uh oh.
    *disclaimer, monkey @ werk.*
    I think that ‘Rolf’ has had some werk on the cooling system previously. There were zipties holding the fan shroud up and the general condition of everything. I know full well what 10yr old 100K mile BMW coolant fried plastic looks like. What was on this car is much newer than that. So the plastic cover’s profile gasket was reused. Since the old gasket had a little imperfection from the edge sticking to the head, i flipped it over and fit into the groove on the cover. It looked like a new gasket in there. After giving everything a swipe w/ some sandpaper it was RTVed too.
    *end disclaimer*
    While it’s not exactly hot enough here in chi-town to acid test the seal. It does ok idling w/ some revving the a/c goin full blast.
    Oh and i got the summer treads goin. Warm southern black(red?)top, here we come.

If anyones along the way give a shout. I will be taking my time on the way back. Maybe.
    If i'm lucky, Rolf will also be sportin some Koni adjustables by then too.
    Whoohoo!

93 SE-R---94 530iT&A---92 325i ….”Hang up & Drive!”
    ”It is not the function of our government to keep the citizen from falling into error;
    It is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error."--Robert H. Jackson.
    Last edited by paul p (chi-town); 04-12-2004 at 11:50 PM.

Buy Winfred a Hurricane for me, at Pat O's.

Should be a great trip. Oh yeah, the roads in Louisiana are spectacular in their potholes & disrepair. I was actually concerned for the rental car wheels when driving there last year.
    erased due to slander

i don't know which sucks more I55 or I59, it's like driving over 2x4s that fell out of a truck that somehow got evenly spaced
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it