GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Getrag S5D 250G transmission problem?

Default Getrag S5D 250G transmission problem?

Hello forum,

I'm new to the forums. After looking over your excellent write up on the DIY Shift Linkage Rebuild, I thought you would be great resource to start with.

I was recently given a 1993 525i 5-speed. Naturally, I drove it like I stole it. The incident occured when I shifted into 2nd gear from 1st gear.. The moment I shifted into 2nd gear, I hit a pothole...a really BIG pothole. BAM, the car drove fine as I was "merging" onto the highway. As I approached my destination, I slowed down to city speeds and realized that transmission would not stay in 2nd gear. All other gears work flawlessly.

I can shift into 2nd gear, but the moment I release the clutch it pops out. If I try to force it to stay, the gears just grind. So the next step was to feel how the shifting would be under engine off condition. All gears except for 2nd felt like they "clicked" into place. 2nd gear feels like something is not going all the way in.

With the guidance of pictorial/write-up, I went underneath the car to look at the shift-linkage. Everything looks straight, nothing that is bent out of shape to the untrained eye. I've been informed that I need to remove the exhaust/guibo/driveshaft to get a better view. There is A LOT of play in the shifter.

What are some of the possible scenarios that I would be looking at? Blown synchro? Bent or misaligned shift linkage?

Do you recommend a transmission rebuild? Finding a used transmission? Remanufactured unit?

What transmissions are compatible with my car? only 93-96 e34?

Thank you,
    Mike

93' 525i manual
    225,000 miles

id think it could be the linkage/bushings. also you will want to inspect the engine and transmission mounts for damage.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I'll find the time this weekend to tear things apart and get a better look. How will I be able to distinguish if the transmissoin and motor mounts are bad? Can anyone please direct me to or link me a picture of a worn mount?

Thank you

Maybe the internal shift fork is bent on the 1-2 due to the impact. Does first seem to be closer to the neutral gate and second farther away?
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

After reading your reply, I went to go mess around with the shifter. The distance "seems" to be the same from 1 to N vs. 2 to N. However, I don't really have a good point of reference to determine the appropriate distances. Almost all the 525i I have seen have been automatics.

I ran out there just a few minutes ago to experiment with the shifter. When I place the shifter into 2nd with the car OFF, it just pops back into neutral. Second gear just feels like it's not seating properly.

I wanted to thank everyone for the PM's and advice. It is much appreciated. Since the cars troubles are out of my league, a good friend of mine will be taking on this 525i project. So now, I'm just helping him out by doing some legwork. I will keep you posted on the progress of this car!

P.S. Does anyone have a 1989-89 e24 front spoiler for sale?

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
    Maybe the internal shift fork is bent on the 1-2 due to the impact. Does first seem to be closer to the neutral gate and second farther away?