GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Very First BMW...Guidance Please!!

Default My Very First BMW...Guidance Please!!

I just bought a 94 530i 5spd and unfortunately did very little research before this purchase. I fell in love with this car after 2 min. behind the wheel. This car is "currently" mechanically flawless at 124K (no dash lights lit, dry, smooth, and fast). When I got it home, I began looking for any and all data related to this car (unable to reach previous owner). Needless to say, it wasn't long before I became quite familiar with the Nikasil "Leak Down" issue. While changing the oil, I confirmed that Nik has not been replaced with Alusil. Since then, I have been losing sleep while wrestling with the dilemma of what to do now. I love this car (it is 100x more car than my Taurus SHO), but I find myself worrying every time I'm behind the wheel (listening/feeling for noises, loss of power, rough idle, etc.) Should I sell it? $5K sounds like a lot to replace Nikasil. Is there an oil additive that might prevent leak down? Fuel brands/additives? Let me know what you think...Thanks!

Default quit freakin out!!!

You bought it now its yours. should have been like me and not looked and wondered for half a year before you checked. you say it runs fine, so that means it is fine. use premium fuel, synthetic oil and drive hard. if you want to worry more than worry about getting a leakdown test, I did a comp test on mine and thats as far as I wanted to go with testing. mine runs great and I dont lose any sleep over it at all, dont forget about the Alusil people that dont know what their missing...

ahhh I love the smell of Nikasil in the morning!

95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

freezin ass cold WI formerly freezin ass cold MN

You bought the car, the deal is done, enjoy the car. No use worrying about something you can't control. I stressed about the same thing after I bought my 540 until my wife finally told me to quit worrying and drive it like it's meant to be driven. That was 4 1/2 years ago. If it will make you feel better, spend some money and get a leakdown test done and see what kind of shape it's in.
    95 540 six speed, Rondell 58 wheels, nothin else special
    79 911 SC - pea soup green

Looks like Jeff and I were typing and thinking the same thing at the same time.

Also, I still haven't checked for sure on mine. I don't really want to know. I might next time I change the oil.

Quote Originally Posted by cptjnz
    I just bought a 94 530i 5spd and unfortunately did very little research before this purchase. I fell in love with this car after 2 min. behind the wheel. This car is "currently" mechanically flawless at 124K (no dash lights lit, dry, smooth, and fast). When I got it home, I began looking for any and all data related to this car (unable to reach previous owner). Needless to say, it wasn't long before I became quite familiar with the Nikasil "Leak Down" issue. While changing the oil, I confirmed that Nik has not been replaced with Alusil. Since then, I have been losing sleep while wrestling with the dilemma of what to do now. I love this car (it is 100x more car than my Taurus SHO), but I find myself worrying every time I'm behind the wheel (listening/feeling for noises, loss of power, rough idle, etc.) Should I sell it? $5K sounds like a lot to replace Nikasil. Is there an oil additive that might prevent leak down? Fuel brands/additives? Let me know what you think...Thanks!
    cptjnz, like Jeff mentioned, if it's working well now, odds are you're good to go for a while. Fill it up and let'er rip!

If it goes, just drop an S62 in there! (*insert Blink182's "yee-haw" song, here*)

p.s. Mark, do you make a chip for the S62 so it makes more than 400 hp?

Cheers,
    Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

Thanks for the advice Jeff! When it comes to synthetic oil, how often would you recommend a change? Is 5/30 a decent weight? I'm located in MA and commute roughly 50 hwy. miles each day. Sorry to sound like a Driver's Ed. student, but this car is truly quite foreign to me. I love it!

I couldn't stand not knowing! It's one of those things...you know you shouldn't look, but you just can't help it! Tx Scott!

Default 5w30 is good, 0w40 is better, 5-6000 btw changes, change filter every 3000

Quote Originally Posted by cptjnz
    Thanks for the advice Jeff! When it comes to synthetic oil, how often would you recommend a change? Is 5/30 a decent weight? I'm located in MA and commute roughly 50 hwy. miles each day. Sorry to sound like a Driver's Ed. student, but this car is truly quite foreign to me. I love it!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Thanx Duey, I'll pass your expert advice along to my wife...400hp...I guess that will give me something else to dream about tonight!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast