GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parts list for Intake manifold gasket change for M60

Default Parts list for Intake manifold gasket change for M60

Now that it is cold I need to get this done. I have been told that while I am in there I should do the PVC plate and Throttle body gasket. I see several members are familar with the job so if someone could give me a parts list it would make my life easier.

I'll be using the directions on E38.org. Is that the best write up on the job?

the 4 intake port gaskets, tb gasket, pcv plate/cyclonic valve and it's gasket, may as well get a set of plugs as you are almost down to them (bkr6ek/2288 ngk, f7ldcr/fr7ldc+(they changed the #)/7402 bosch super) the water pump is a little easyer while the intake is off, you can do the o-rings on the back of the tubes, and the 4 knock sensors are only possible with the intake off, they will probably have cracks in them but that doesn't mean they are bad, it's a crap shoot when one will die and then you need to pull the intake, they are testable but you need a graphing meter, and a hammer, i've noticed new ones are more sensitive
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

That is a very informative post. great job. Makes me almost want to spring for a 540 just so I can work on it.

BTW, whats involved on replacing the M50 knock sensors. I think it involves removing the oil pan.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

no need to even think of the oil pan, if god is smiling you may stand a chance of doing them without pulling the intake, i just pull the intake as it's faster, 2 sensors with a 13mm on each and about a 4" pigtail plug

Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    BTW, whats involved on replacing the M50 knock sensors. I think it involves removing the oil pan.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

This was my parts list, I meant to post it. I recommend autohausaz.com as they carry non-oem versions of the gaskets that are 1/3 the price.

13541747475 - ASC only O ring
    11617501562 - PCV plate
    11611437694 - cap
    11611747085 - cap
    11611729727 - front manifold gasket
    11611729728 - rear manifold gasket
    11151736140 - O ring
    11611433328 x 4 - cylindar head gaskets
    11611736648 x 10 - bushings

Also plan on picking up some hex bolts to replace the crummy torx ones that you will be stripping. This is from memory but I believe I used:

12 6mmx25mm hex
    3 6mm x 20mm hex

I also bought the O-rings for the coolant pipes and the valley pan but did not end up getting that far. If you want them you can have them cheap from me.
    Last edited by brosher; 10-15-2006 at 01:41 PM.

Oh and here is the step by step if you havnt found it:
    http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=17421

While I did this I also replaced the galley cover, as they tend to leak too. It's all apart, and you are right in there looking at it.

I also replaced the heater hoses and fuel lines at the same time, but you could do that on a different weekend !

Winfred is spot on in terms of the water pipes and o-rings. I replaced that aluminium breather pipe that runs to the PCV plate as well. It was cheap and I figured what the heck.

If you do the water pump, might as well throw new belts on too since they are coming off and they are easy to replace.

It's a slippery slope on this one.

Finally, while all this was apart, I noticed the two short power steering hoses under the brake booster were leaking, so, out those came. That, by far, was one of the hardest jobs I have done to date on the M60. A real PIA !!

R.
    Robert Callaway
    Dallas, TX
    '94 530im 143k mi
    '94 Land Cruiser FZJ-80 202k mi.

"If I could have back all the time and money I ever spent on cars.......I'd spend it all on cars."

Thanks guys. This helps a lot. The valve cover gaskets have been replaced with the plugs so I am not touching them. My father is bought the car from me and I told him I will do it as a favor for him. If it was mine I'd probably do more but he is just thrilled this work is on me. I may look into the knock sensors if they do not cost too much. Anyone have cost info/supplier and how hard they are to do when in there?

So far I have paid for and installed a new radiator and transmission filter/fluid change. Next week it looks like it may be getting the thrust arms with 750 bushings I bought. Once I am finished it should be good for a while for him.

Quote Originally Posted by brosher
    11611437694 - cap
    Autohaus does not list this part number.

While I had the intake manifold off, I noticed my injectors were really crusty, so I sent them off to be refurbed and recalibrated.
    Don't forget to change all the rubber; one littel hose that connects fromteh PCV plate to the fuel pressure regulator, and another one that runs from under the throttle body. That one was so brittle it shattered.
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast