GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Instrument Cluster Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by VentoGT
    So did you change the face of the gauge on the Tach? That tach looks exactly like my M5 tach. I would imagine that your 525 has a completely different redline than the S38 motor...
    True enough but I'm running a S52 M3 engine with Turner Motorsport chip (increased redline) and a few other mods so the M5 redline is pretty much right on. It's the complete M5 tach not just the face.

Paul

Touche. I'd love to see pics of the motor in the car!

Touche. I'd love to see pics of the motor in the car!
    Here's a pic just after I installed it last June before getting cleaned up. Not really much different than the stock M50 that's visible to the uninitiated except the M engine cover. The engine had only 50k miles and was out of a 96 so I basically had to convert it from OBDII electronics to OBDI. It uses a 95 M3 DME w/Turner chip and EWS delete coding. I've got the steel headers too but just haven't had them welded up to work yet. The stock M50 intake, throttle body, and a later vanos MAF were used to get things going. Since it's a Touring it's not as quick as an authentic M3 but it's certainly quicker than any other Bimmer wagon I've driven with the only exception being the 2003 E39 540 Touring. Now that's a hot rod!

Paul

Very cool--that must have been a lot of work to backdate the OBD on the motor...I bet there are some surprised folks when they see a wagon take off on 'em! Did you swap the 5 speed tranny over from the M3 as well?

Very cool--that must have been a lot of work to backdate the OBD on the motor...I bet there are some surprised folks when they see a wagon take off on 'em! Did you swap the 5 speed tranny over from the M3 as well?
    I installed a fresh, stock type automatic (ok, shoot away). I wanted to get the swap done quickly and I just wanted a nice everyday driver not a drag racer. If I had installed the manual trans I would almost certainly dog it more and probably get in trouble. It does fine with the auto and on my first trip of any length I got 29mpg on cruise at 80mph. That's with the stock 4:10 Touring differential and it's turning about 3k rpm at that speed.

Paul

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12