GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help interpret fuel pressure test

Default Help interpret fuel pressure test

Been having this ongoing problem with the 1989 535i stalling at idle. Have checked all the sensors/switches, ECT, CPS, TPS, and AFM. Replaced the ICV, distributor and rotor, and plugs.
    Today I checked the O2 sensor which has less then 20,000 miles, it was OK.
    I also finally got a fault code I could read (the CEL stays light now) it is #1222 which in my car means too rich/lean an idle.

So as for the fuel pressure test I did today. With the car idling, the pressure was 35.5 psi. Seems low as per Bentleys (43.5 psi, +/- .9 psi). Pulling the vacuum hose off the Fuel Pressure Regulator caused the pressure to rise (as it should per Bentleys) to about 45 psi. With engine running and slowly clamping down on the return from the FPR the pressure rise rapidly till it was off the gauge (0-60 psi gauge).

This appears to suggest a bad FPR? If it was the fuel pump the pressure shouldn’t jump as the return is clamped, right?

TIA

Jim

sounds right to me.....

when did you replace your fuel filter?
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Quote Originally Posted by BillionPa
    sounds right to me.....

when did you replace your fuel filter?
    That was the very first thing I did when this problem first reared it's ugly head, about 6 weeks ago

Anyone else got an opinion?

Default Seems like a reasonable guess...

Quote Originally Posted by JMI
    Anyone else got an opinion?
    You can try running with the FPR vacuum line disconnected (plug with something) and see if it runs better and fixes the CEL. The FP should rise about 7 PSI with the line connected - getting you close to the typical 42PSI.

I have a hard mounted FP gauge in the car and notice that the FP isn't particularily accurate. It will range from high 30's to mid 40's on any given day. My FPR is pretty new...

Bill R. has comment as well that the FP on these cars somes to range somewhat.

Jeff
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Does the stalling go away with the regulator disconnected?
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Default 43.5 is with the vacum line to the regulator disconnected, with it

connected its going to be in the range that yours is. Fuel pressure is checked statically with the engine off key on, thats when you get 43.5. With it idling and vacum being applied to the regulator it will read about what yours is doing. There is nothing wrong with your regulator.

Quote Originally Posted by JMI
    Been having this ongoing problem with the 1989 535i stalling at idle. Have checked all the sensors/switches, ECT, CPS, TPS, and AFM. Replaced the ICV, distributor and rotor, and plugs.
    Today I checked the O2 sensor which has less then 20,000 miles, it was OK.
    I also finally got a fault code I could read (the CEL stays light now) it is #1222 which in my car means too rich/lean an idle.

So as for the fuel pressure test I did today. With the car idling, the pressure was 35.5 psi. Seems low as per Bentleys (43.5 psi, +/- .9 psi). Pulling the vacuum hose off the Fuel Pressure Regulator caused the pressure to rise (as it should per Bentleys) to about 45 psi. With engine running and slowly clamping down on the return from the FPR the pressure rise rapidly till it was off the gauge (0-60 psi gauge).

This appears to suggest a bad FPR? If it was the fuel pump the pressure shouldn’t jump as the return is clamped, right?

TIA

Jim

so the next step is the flow rate test the injectors?
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Checked all the hoses? Air leaking in somewhere?

Thanks, guys

Jeff N - Ran the car for about half hour -10 miles - seems there was some improvment but not conclusive.

Bill R - I also did the pressure test statically - removed fuel pump relay and jumped from 30 to 87, key on - pressure never got over 36 psi. Be interested in what you think it could be

stu1 - will be replacing some hoses soon

Billionpa - will do a flow test when I can - still suspect a bad fuel pump

TIA

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast