GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: oil spill in trunk

Default oil spill in trunk

I've identified the dead body smell in my interior. About 3 quarts of oil dumped in the front of the the trunk. It is in the trunk carpet, which is in my basement now, and all over the metal front section of the trunk. What's the best way to get the oil off the carpet and off the metal?

Off the carpet... laundry mat? If not there, take laundry detergent and a medium-stiff bristle brush and work the soap in there with the brush and shoot pressurized water through it several times at the do-it-yourself car wash. (The whole wash, rinse, repeat thing)

Off the metal, soak up as much as you can with kitty litter, let it "clump" then scoop. Then a little elbow grease and use windex and paper towels to remove the filmy residue left.

"Scarlet" `97 540/6 with sleepy mods.
    "Box Car" '87 535isA - Old School Charm, new school Flair

Dawn liquid detergent. It saved several birdies when the Exxon Valdez popped.

To start with go buy a gallon of Simple Green at Home Depot. Use that to get all of the heavier oil out of the carpet and off the sheet metal. It's best to lay it all out on concrete so you can flip it back and forth. Use a spray nozzle on your hose for penetration.

Finish up with high quality dishwashing detergent to get the rest of the oil out of the carpet and to dilute the smell of the Simple Green. Rinse, rinse, rinse and it will be good again.....................

"Trust me........................
    Spasso
    530iT, 525 5-speed , 328is.

Quote Originally Posted by brosher
    I've identified the dead body smell in my interior. About 3 quarts of oil dumped in the front of the the trunk. It is in the trunk carpet, which is in my basement now, and all over the metal front section of the trunk. What's the best way to get the oil off the carpet and off the metal?

Metal front section should be easy to do - sawdust will do most of the trick, followed by some elbow grease. As for the carpet, forget the hassle, get a new one!!