GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dyed my rear package tray

Default Dyed my rear package tray

Well, I removed my rear package tray and dyed it (it was basically faded into a pinkinsh gray color). I used this stuff and it turned out pretty good...http://www.duplicolor.com/products/vinyl.html.

I forgot to put the #@(& triangle back on the shelf before I reinstalled it. Other than that everything went pretty smooth. One of the c-pillars was a bitch to get back on for some reason. The other went easily.

I'll post some pics this weekend. Being the dumbarse that I am I didn't take any before pics. It definitely looks a lot better now.

Pics would be good

I know. I'll take some this weekend. I usually have such a small time window to get things done before my kids are helping too much that I forget to take pics.

Sorry for the obvious post but I'm pushing to get to 100

What color did you use and how many cans? Was the fabric texture an issue as it is fuzzy material? I would assume it took a couple of coats.

I ask because my parchment (duplicolor desert tan?) rear shelf has faded to whitish pink. I was considering having it re-covered or buying a new one.

Also pictures
    Last edited by Russell; 10-13-2006 at 06:42 PM.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

I used flat black. I'm not sure if the original color was gray or black (yes, it was that faded) but it looks good black. It took numerous coats (I used almost two cans of the stuff).

It was absorbed pretty good. It's definitely a coarse, stiff feeling surface now and I think if I were to rub the fabric the paint would come off a little (that really doesn't make sense...).

Pics coming tomorrow.

The rubbing off part worries me a bit. I asked a local upholstery shop about a respray of my package shelf. They stated thier dye/paint would not stick very well on the fuzzy material. Also, I assume you removed the shelf from the car before spraying. Were the speaker covers easy to remove?

Sorry for the questions, but I cannot stand something not "correct" on this car and want to fix it. Even so, I do have a list of items to work on.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

I did remove the tray from the car. The speaker covers popped right out. The most difficult part was removing and reinstalling the c-pillars.

I think I can get you a pic that shows where some of the paint was rubbed off (happened when putting the speaker cover back on). I have to say that it is a 95% improvement over what I had in there. The only other options I could see where either getting it reupholstered or getting a new tray. Neither option was really attractive to me. The paint only cost $12 so I figured if it doesn't work out I can fall back on the other options.

Thanks,
    Believe I will try Duplicolor Desert sand or Medium beige. Either case, the color change from faded pink/tan to sand/beige is less change than you appear to have experienced. However, I was not aware the c-pillers needed to come off. I thought/assumed the tray just slide straight out after the parcel shelf clips were removed. I am refering to page 720-3 in my Bentley and I believe an archived post. Anyway, good to know. Thanks again.
    Thanks,

My friend dyed the seat of an old diesel truck he was cleaning up. The fuzzy seat went from stained/faded red (you couldnt even really tell it was red anymore except where the fabcric curved aorund the back of the seat) to a nice black. No rubbing off at all. When i saw it i thought it looked good, but i didnt think of using it on my car until now, thank you Zman!!
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast