GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More E34 appreciation (possibly less obvious points)

Default More E34 appreciation (possibly less obvious points)

This is possibly a continuation of the thread a few months back, but this time from a maintenance/more obscure point of view...

The other day I didn't put the bonnet down correctly. Thought the front looked a little strange and finally it dawned on me (at about 80MPH) that the bonnet wasn't latched right. Any other car I've ever had would never have made it to 80 with the bonnet not latched down - would've been smack up against the windscreen and crap I can't see ****!

Talking about the bonnet - the way it opens 90 degrees. Marvellous. Then I realised the boot also opens 90 degrees and the doors too!

Another fine point - just put my 'winter' shocks in the front - 30 minutes a side - 22mm top nut, big wrench on the tube, 3 13mm tower nuts, loosen lower and upper control arms, sway bar link disconnected and out it swings. I can appreciate that!

The oil filter being ON TOP of the engine - fancy that!

Windows and sunroof that closes from outside the car.

The lack of 'OMFG' moments when the back end steps out (given half decent tires).

The braking power! Seriously; I've never seen any car stop so positively.

The robustness of the rear bumper and shock absorbers (ask me how I know )

Any more servicing / mechanical / more obscure appreciation points?

Radiator that takes less than ten minutes to remove and replace.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

Someone has said in here before, that the E34 had the best braking power of ANY car back in its day. That says something, and it shows -- I have had many an event where I had to brake suddenly, and only once has the tyres actually screeched (a tiny bit).

Other things I appreciate -- double-kickdown, check control module that even tells you when a bulb has blown (!), and....

<puts on flame-retarding suit>

WIDE GRILLE!!

The E34 certainly proves how much more effort and R&D BMW put into their cars when they build them!! Thats exactly why I love mine so much!! A prestige-model Holden/GM/Opel/Vauxhall of the same vintage, and about the same price when new was NO WHERE near the E34 in terms of quality, refinement and general awesomeness!!

Gone but NEVER forgotten. :'(

And then...

Quote Originally Posted by stu1
    Windows and sunroof that closes from outside the car.
    i think my car missed that feature, i have to have the key at A/C to close anything!

put key in door turn to left and hold there for a few secs and windows and roof should close

kev535i south oz

I like the ergonomics of interior. The way the gearshift, e-brake, pedals, climate controls, radio, etc. are all positioned just right. My father drives a 99 Cad. Catera (Opel Omega) and enjoys the BMW layout more so, and the E34 design is nearly 20 years old.

Much to appreciate is that the E34 looks so good.
    Support your American Flag Merchant Marine
    No BMW at this time, eyeing a 91 318iS. 00 Saab 9-5, 89 Bronco XLT, 05 Kawi Z1k, 00 Ducati 748S Bip

Quote Originally Posted by kev535i
    put key in door turn to left and hold there for a few secs and windows and roof should close
    I think something may be wrong with my sunroof. The 4 windows will close but i have to use the button inside to close the sunroof.
    I wonder if its connected to the fact that when "auto" closing the sunroof from inside, closing any of the windows at the same time will stop the sunroof. Unlocking the doors will stop it aswell. I have noticed once that closing the window at the same time didn't interupt the sunroof. Very strange

Back on subject.
    Its funny when friends of mine brag about gadgets they have in there newer cars (madza 3, ford fiesta etc). To think BMW had the same or similar gadgets in a 13 year old car.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe Diesel
    I like the ergonomics of interior. The way the gearshift, e-brake, pedals, climate controls, radio, etc. are all positioned just right. My father drives a 99 Cad. Catera (Opel Omega) and enjoys the BMW layout more so, and the E34 design is nearly 20 years old.

Much to appreciate is that the E34 looks so good.
    I completely agree with you on this -- driver-centric controls is something not very well appreciated until you own a BMW and then have to drive a non-BMW vehicle.

The fact that the indicators and wiper wands are right at the fingertips.
    I like the wireless rear light bulb holders,one twist and out,remove bulb,insert new ,replace holder.
    I love the way ALL the electrical plugs have retainers.
    And Randell thats what he is talking about,the self close thing,holding the key all the way over.
    The sunroof is the last thing to close.The windows all close one at a time,then a slight pause and the sunroof will close
    Last but not least,you can still close windows and sunroof after you have turned off the key and are halfway out of the car.You can still close the windows and sunroof.If you forget you still have the aforementioned self close.
    I love this damn car,even though i have a shimmy again.I hope its a wheel weight lost,i did the bushings only about 10000 ks ago
    Gone but not forgotten

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast