GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: She won't start

Default She won't start

Hello all
    Electrical Problem I think....
    Car won't start, (E34 Tourer 520i M50) all dash lights come on but doesn't turn over. I had recent alternator and starter replace, battery fine.
    Checked under hood to amateurishly wiggle things and spotted something black and cup-shaped (distributor-looking) right in the middle of the rear of the engine bay (on firewall?!) which is hanging off! Seems to have a metal core inside and two wires coming from it. Two bolts have obviously come off the silver-edged surround. Sorry vague description, anyone know what that is?

Thanks

Update... here's a bad camera photo taken in the dark and there seem to be more than 2 bolts missing!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Pete D; 10-08-2006 at 01:31 PM.

did the starter come apart? selenoid? has to mate up with something down there.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    did the starter come apart? selenoid? has to mate up with something down there.
    Big fat wire coming from that black cup on left, is this thing connected to the starter or solenoid?

If I'm not mistaken, your starter solenoid has disassembled itself.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVoorhis
    If I'm not mistaken, your starter solenoid has disassembled itself.
    Thanks for reply Dave.
    Sounds painful, is that caused by a bad installation, cheap part or random happening? Can it just be bolted back together. It was only replaced sometime in the last 12 months and would it have been played with when the alternator was replaced?

There are three screws that hold the solenoid in. On yours, they're gone. See http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...18&hg=12&fg=25

I doubt anyone would have touched that when the alternator was replaced, but if it's a rebuilt starter or a replaced solenoid, it looks like the screws weren't properly torqued.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

I just want to ask a question. Does the starter would make a noise when try to start the car. Because my makes a sond something like terrrr but nothing happens. Please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVoorhis
    There are three screws that hold the solenoid in. On yours, they're gone. See http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...18&hg=12&fg=25

I doubt anyone would have touched that when the alternator was replaced, but if it's a rebuilt starter or a replaced solenoid, it looks like the screws weren't properly torqued.

Thanks Dave, superbly pinpointed. Can I simply order 3 screws and bolt back on or is damage to the solenoid likely?

I doubt the solenoid would have been damaged. Where it is right now, you can try turning the key to start and you should hear the solenoid click if it works. I'd try ordering and installing the screws.

1997 535i V8

Quote Originally Posted by begeta50
    I just want to ask a question. Does the starter would make a noise when try to start the car. Because my makes a sond something like terrrr but nothing happens. Please let me know.
    You mean you can hear the starter motor spin (whiiiizzzzzz) but it doesn't turn the engine? If so, pull the starter and disassemble it. Examine the solenoid, shift lever and pinion for proper operation.

1997 535i V8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast