GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Difficulty of Tranny cooler line replacement?

Default Difficulty of Tranny cooler line replacement?

So here's another negative of maD tYte slamming of E34 Tourings.... At some point I managed to hit something that bent one of the transmission cooler lines, the inlet line, P/N 17221728763. I don't know what I hit, but since the oil pan is intact I'm not complaining...

It's only a $50 part, so I'll replace it the next time I flush the fluid. I don't know how constricted the pipe is and have visions of overheating the tranny or ruining the pump that circulates the fluid because of backpressure, so I'll do it soon.

BUT- I haven't had the car up on a lift in a year or so, and that cooling line runs awfully close to that motor mount. Does anyone have any idea how hard the R&R of this line will be?
    1995 525iT
    1990 Porsche 928GT

minor to medium pain in the ass, i see em like that not all of the time but more then you'd expect, i just bend it back straight
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Thanks Winfred, I'll try to straighten it out, and then when I break it, I'll replace it
    1995 525iT
    1990 Porsche 928GT

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Edwards
    Thanks Winfred, I'll try to straighten it out, and then when I break it, I'll replace it
    The lower cover normally protects that. I've seen broken a branch kicking up when a tyre goes over it- in this case it tore the stupid English designed brake lines clean off the landrover in front of me. Perhaps could have had a sad ending if I hadn't stopped to check it out and helped them get a tow. With the brake fluid all over the road like that and gravitionally losing the rest as we looked at it. I've seen a Land Rover resovoir empty front and rear circuits in one go before, this one managed to do the same with the line torn only at the rear, most of the front resovoir was gone also, even though it only braked once after the 'funny noise'.

The BMW cover is pretty neatly designed, maybe fitting one is a good idea? I never hit my cover much, but if something poked in there one day I can see that happening without it. The cover helps the fan control heat flow also of course, did it ever have it? Nick
    Last edited by genphreak; 10-08-2006 at 05:40 AM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!