GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on 91 525i update

Default Need advice on 91 525i update

Just wanted to thank everyone for the advice. I have taken some polishing compound to the car it and its comimg along nicely. In addtion I have discovered that the passenger seat has the dreaded seat tilt and have found instructions to (hopefully) fix this, the drivers seat is uncomfortable because of the lack of padding but I can deal with it. Found a window for $50- and a friend is installing it. So that leaves the door panel which I will replace. After polishing off years of dirt and grime it actually doesn't look as bad as I first thought. It runs strong, the sucker is fast and I love it. Additionally, took a look at the records that came with the car, front thrust rods (?), and bushings were replaced 30,000 miles ago as well as the valve cover gasket, oxegyn sensor, front tie rods and the idler arm and center link (?). That owner took excellent care of the car, detailed monthly etc. It was the last two owners that let it go to hell. So anyway, I'm going to fix a few things up , love it and drive it and save up for a no rust, lower mileage E34. Thanks so much for the advice and the warm welcome to the board!!!

congratulations, you sound like your a bimmernut allready! Get us some pictures after you clean it up.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Here is a pic so far, yep its stock : (

Wow, that car is in better shape than I thought it would be.

I'm still convinced that you can find an inexpensive pair of front seats at a junkyard. And as you know you can fix the twist, seat rock, and power headrests (if it came with them).

You could visit www.autogeek.com and buy a Porter cable and the appropriate pads. BMW used a great quality paint with no clear coat, so despite being higher-maintenance it really wakes up with a GREAT polish.
    Atlanta, GA/Bloomington, IN, USA

Default Thanks! And Denton!!!

I took a picture of its 'good' side!!! The drivers side has some bad rust on the door (at the bottom corner and half way up the door there is another spot), the door trim is coming off and the window is broken so its currently covered with plastic as we are expecting rain. It doesn't look that good in person, although I HAVE had one person offer me $1000- for it as it sits. It is the only e34 and possibly the only bmw in my little Indiana town. Denton, I noticed that your profile says bloomington, IN, do you go to IU? I live 45 mins from Bton, any leads on junkyards with BMW parts? Additionally the drivers side is doing some funky paint thing that LOOKS like a peeling clearcoat but it doesn't have one? I'll try and get a pic of it when and if the sun ever comes out. Thanks so much for the nice words and help guys, you have no idea how much I appreciate it! And yeah, the drive home from Chi kind of hooked me, I understand why people are so loyal to BMW's now. My prior car was a 2002 Expedtion Eddie Bauer edition, needless to say this car is so much quicker than that monster. I have a bad habit of getting speeding tickets anyway and I keep finding myself doing 90 in this car already! Forget about any mods, I'd just get into more trouble!!!!-- Cheryl

Default Hey, it doesn't look too bad

And as long as it runs well, it's a good introduction the the E34. I have that same car (not the same color, though) and love it. It's not super-quick off the line, which is fine with me, but it feels better than any car I've driven once I push it past 80mph. My car is stock, too (I have those same wheels) and my budget allows me to maintain it but not to improve it drastically. So I guess we're in the same boat. Good luck getting your car fixed up, and keep us apprised of the progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Artsoap
    I took a picture of its 'good' side!!! The drivers side has some bad rust on the door (at the bottom corner and half way up the door there is another spot), the door trim is coming off and the window is broken so its currently covered with plastic as we are expecting rain. It doesn't look that good in person, although I HAVE had one person offer me $1000- for it as it sits. It is the only e34 and possibly the only bmw in my little Indiana town. Denton, I noticed that your profile says bloomington, IN, do you go to IU? I live 45 mins from Bton, any leads on junkyards with BMW parts? Additionally the drivers side is doing some funky paint thing that LOOKS like a peeling clearcoat but it doesn't have one?

Yeah, I'm a sophomore at IU. Bloomington is a really nice town, I love it! Where in IN are you?

I'll have a BMW at IU for the first time tomorrow, so no idea on local junkyards. As you know, Louisville, Indy, and Cinti are close.

POR-15 is the only thing that will stop rust. You can read up on how to apply it yourself if you want to do that. You can't just paint over it with red paint and expect the rust to stop.

On my Zinnoberrot E30, the paint is single-stage Glasurit, so it fades easily but the shine comes out with a good wax. What is the paint code of your car? (Pop the hood and look for a black tag in German on the strut tower).

Or it could have been repainted in a spot and the body shop used clearcoat, which flakes.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it?
    Atlanta, GA/Bloomington, IN, USA

Looks pretty good...it doesn't have to be perfect if it suits your needs and is a safe, reliable daily driver. Sounds like you've got the important things taken care of, just keep up on the oil changes and other fluids and you should be good. Gotta be alot more fun to drive than what you had, enjoy it.

You came to the right place for advice on your new car, the experts (not me) here will save you alot of time, money and grief. Welcome.

BTW, I am also an ex resident of Indiana AND SoCal, now in NJ

...good God, how did I get here?

$916.00 its got 217,000 miles on it, the passenger seat has the twist thing going on drivers window is gone, drivers door panel trashed. Pay to much?

Too much? Nope, sounds like a good deal, and it's exactly the right colour.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast