GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: The kind of design I was hoping for current BMWs

Default The kind of design I was hoping for current BMWs

Here is a nice set of headlight design from Bentley. I had hoped BMW would have gone somewhere along those lines for their current designs. There is something remeniscent of our beloved e34's in there.

It is pure and simple. But I'm not about how bubbly the car looks.

I was surprised to see two different of these Bentleys on different days here in Montreal. I had not noticed where they were plated. I just thought what a nice design.

Those Bentleys are beautiful.

You say it looks bubbly, but don't forget it can seat four adults in comfort. How many sleek-looking, 200MPH coupes can do that? Interior comfort is important to Bentley drivers, so the styling suffers a little -- but not much, IMHO. It still looks awesome.

BMW design is mellowing a little. The new 3 -- both sedan and couple -- look great. The 5 and 7 have grown on me. Regardless of what you think of Bangle, he has shaken up car design, and that's a good thing.

I do agree that BMW should pay more attention to its roots, though. The modern cars lack the elegant, subtle menacing look of the E30, E34, E38, E39 and the rest of the cars up to and not including the E46 (which is pretty in its own way but in no way menacing).
    Last edited by Jay 535i; 10-03-2006 at 01:52 PM.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Quote Originally Posted by Jay 535i
    the elegant, subtle menacing look of the E30, E34, E38, E39
    lol
    _

That is the Continental GT, which has been out for 2 years--they are everywhere in Atlanta. There is a new 4 door car, I think called the Flying Spur, that looks just like the GT but is a 4 door. If I had the money for a big Exec car, that would probably be the car that I would buy...about the price of an S600 or 760 but a lot nicer looking and more exclusive.

the E46 looks a lot more menacing in CSL or widebody GTR form.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

I think my E34 looks probably the most menacing front end I've ever seen. As a matter of fact it's pretty much the front end that made my wife persuade me to buy it. Hated the test drive, but she loved it. Now I can't get in another car without finding faults everywhere - poo pooing the handling, the acceleration (yes I have a 520 but above 3500RPM it flies), the build quality etc. Wouldn't swap it for anything.

I agree completely. In my opinion the e36 was the last car (non M cars mind you) that BMW made that retained "the elegant, subtle menacing look" that others speak of. The e39 was a major dissappointment to me and it only got worse after that (with a couple exceptions of course). The e28, e30 and e34 have such beautiful lines, and the new cars simply do not do them justice in my opinion.

When I told my girlfriend I was going to be shopping for an e34 540i in the future she asked why I didn't just buy a newer car if I was going to spend 10k... I tried to explain, but it was no use
    '92 536i (m30)
    '88 535i

i like the e39 but not the e 36,that flat looking headlight cover looks just like an afterthought.
    Gone but not forgotten