GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Billowing White Smoke

Default Billowing White Smoke

after idling for ten minutes while I cleaned my windows inside and out.........

I drive off nice and easy in my shiny "new" E34 and a ton of white smoke billows out of the tailpipe along with the check engine light and some hesitation... after a tenth of a mile the smoke is gone but the check engine light is still on

check engine light has flashed on and off briefly the past couple of weeks...

Does anyone have a Peake tool they're willing to loan me for a deposit?
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

Quote Originally Posted by Evan

I drive off nice and easy in my shiny "new" E34 and a ton of white smoke billows out of the tailpipe along with the check engine light and some hesitation... after a tenth of a mile the smoke is gone but the check engine light is still on

If you were local Have we checked the usual suspects for white exhaust smoke?
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

Compression leak-down test first and foremost. Drain the oil, check the coolant.

ship it to me.. i'll pay all costs and give you a $150US deposit

as for the smoke.. why would it come on hard like i blew a gasket.. then go away?
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

are you saying that your stomp test produces non-sensical results? try disconnecting the battery for an hour and running it again. you'll lose your stored codes, but you'll see immediately what's wrong.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

i can't get the stomp test to give me any results...

Default might just be the

PVC plate thing on the manifold.

the V8s have a pvc thing on the rear of the manifold that goes, and produces symptoms like this.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Quote Originally Posted by Evan

Don't fret yet, Evan, it's just "that time of year". I went through the same paranoia a year ago when I first had the car, minus your check engine symtoms. One 45 degree F evening I stepped out of my car after driving it a few blocks and stepped right into a large cloud of a billowing white smoke! Wow, what a scare... I thought for sure I had blown a head gasket. Thing was, the smoke was odorless and no sign of coolant at all. As the season progressed into colder temperatures, no more billowing smoke. As pointed out above, I believe this is simply a result of the large and complex exhaust system on our 540s. It probably accumulates condensation inside easily if go on short drives. Hope this is your problem and nothing more
    _

i have to agree with Blitzgrieg Bob
    just an idea tho.....
    it might be the cranck case ventilation and oil separator combo under and and the back of the intake... I had a E32 and it did the same thing ..pretty typical of this set up on the motor... the back plate needs to be changed do the front one as well.....here is sum pics

#3 in this pic is the plate with the o-ring to replace

good luck fairly easy repair tho

dablack
    92-535

Default I had same symptoms on '94 530

I had roughly the same thing happen some years ago on my '94 530iT. Just driving down the street when all hell broke loose with huge clouds of white smoke coming out the back with the car running crappy, and I thought for sure that it must be a head gasket or cracked block. I was able to drive it to my indy and come to find out it was some sticking crankcase or perhaps throttle valve or something (never quite got the story straight from the indy, but sounds like the PVC [PCV?] plate thing mentioned above). Don't panic just yet.

Hal

1994 530iT Nikasil powered 158,000 mi
    1999 528iT 92,000 mi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast