GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just bought a 525i... take a look and help me out :(

Default Just bought a 525i... take a look and help me out :(

Hi, I just purchased this car http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT and I'm wondering if I made a good choice. I just called around a couple places and was quoted anywhere from $900 to $1900 to get the required work done that was stated in the auction. Since a new head gasket set comes with the car I am just buying this http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...EL-WPSKE34-02N Did I make a bad choice in getting this car or is it a pretty good deal? I plan on taking picking it up next weekend and dropping it off at a shop to get the water pump super kit (2nd link) put on and seeing if that will fix the overheating problem. If it doesn't then I'll have to wait a little bit and get the head gasket replaced. Any suggestions on anything? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Jameseypoo; 10-02-2006 at 08:17 PM.

Your URLs don't work.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

yeah i got nothing too

Oops sorry, this is the car http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT and this is the water pump super kit i purchased http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...EL-WPSKE34-02N Thanks again

Well, it seems that you didn't make a good choice IF you are just now realizing that a shop will charge that much to replace a head gasket. And chances are, you won't be able to simply replace the headgasket without doing some work to the head- it may even be cracked.

But, that price seems OK for that car, even if it has a cracked head/blown head gasket. You might want to ask around and see if you can find someone who might be willing to help you do the repairs- that way you learn about your new car and possibly save some $$$.

If you do have a major problems with that engine, you should be able to pickup a good used engine for ~$800 or so, $1000 max- that may be the way to go instead of messing with trying to fix the problem(s) with that engine.

Even if you have to pay someone to install the new engine, they should be able to do it for ~$600-900 (installation labor only).

Bret.

A few thoughts here ...

I thought I blew a headgasket about 3 weeks ago. Upon disassembly, the shop found out that the gasket was fine.. but the head had a crack between a water passage and an exhaust port. Funny thing was, the crack was almost in the same spot pelican parts "how-to article on replacing the HG" head was.

Resurfacing and R/R total with labor averages about 1600 total. Problem is, if the shop who disassembles the motor has any suspicion of the block deck being warped, they probably won't touch it (if its a good shop that won't just put it together without knowing, take your money, and wait for the phone call a few weeks later when the new gasket blows) If they can verify a warped deck on the block, they're going to recommend a long-block type rebuild. Now you're looking at 4000 plus.

I got the call about the questionability of the warped block since it did show signs of serious overheating. I was able to acquire a complete M50 for 1600 with 81k miles on it. Total cost of my replacement is about the same cost as a new head (I've seen it as high as 2100) and installation.

Visually the car looks like it was still worth what you paid for it, and even if you're forced to do an engine swap, you'll still be well below the bluebook value of the car with money invested into it.

Fixed the above links.. also, I am getting the water pump super kit put on and they quoted me around 160 to get it all put on, which doesn't seem too bad at all. Picking it up on Friday. The radio missing is no big deal since I was going to put mine in anyways and I can get the windshield from the junkyard. The shop i was taking it to quoted me around 1000 for all the work, but thats with the parts too and i have already purchased all of them. since they quoted 160 for labor for the water pump kit, i figure the most they'll charge is around 600 if the very most i need is a need head gasket set put on after the water pump work is finished

He said his friend thats a mechanic (not very reliable, i know) says that it neaded a water pump, t-stat, and head gasket. Hope thats all it needs

what the hell is that thing above the exhaust manifolds but below the engine cover, looks like a motor mount.

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeyesTx
    A few thoughts here ...

but the head had a crack between a water passage and an exhaust port. Funny thing was, the crack was almost in the same spot pelican parts "how-to article on replacing the HG" head was.
    Apparently quite common. The PO had one go in the same place on cylinder 5. I bought it and swapped it out. Then I swapped the block two years later, sucker for punishment.....

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast