GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 535i, M30: Pic or guidance for vacuum and wiring under intake manifold

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 535i, M30: Pic or guidance for vacuum and wiring under intake manifold

At the end of a long day installing a new HG and refurbished head, I'm needing a picture or guidance on routing of wires and vacuum hoses under the intake manifold.

As I cannot see under there, does anybody have a picture or graphic that shows what goes where under the intake manifold? The Realoem drawings don't show as much as needed, and my computer crashed recently, with ETK stuff gone.

Memo to self: Next time, take digital pics before disassembly.

theres 2 small nipples on the bottom of the intake, one goes to the fuel pressure regualtor, and the other goes to the bottom of the vent line that goes from the valve cover to the air boot
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Thanks, I had that much done. But, having a senior moment at the end of a long day with lower back pain, I can't remember what the larger vac. tube goes to. It's thicker than the other two lines off the niples, takes a sharp turn, and is ~6-8" long, based on the one I took off.

And, there are two thin elec. wires that go from the injector harness to the starter solenoid, attaching to the small nut at the top. I think that's how they were. Any ideas on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Dash01
    Thanks, I had that much done. But, having a senior moment at the end of a long day with lower back pain, I can't remember what the larger vac. tube goes to. It's thicker than the other two lines off the niples, takes a sharp turn, and is ~6-8" long, based on the one I took off.
    It is hard to put on when the manifold is back on, you need monkey arms. IN the middle of the 2 banks of intake pipes about 3" from the head face it a large connection points down. You have to secure the u pipe over this, it feeds back up to the lower connection on the ICV. I suggest using a good clamp over this and the ICV connection to prevent any leaks, and using the stock pipe form BMW will prevent it melting on the head or developing a hole otherwise/kinking or so on.

And, there are two thin elec. wires that go from the injector harness to the starter solenoid, attaching to the small nut at the top. I think that's how they were. Any ideas on that?
    Its hard to mess these up, the crimps are designed for the mounting nuts on the solenoid, each of which is a different size. Make sure coolant sensors are connected properly- they are easy to mix up. If they are round the wrong way, the temp gauge will register too high very early on. Make sure the crank position sensor is in the right place, about 1mm of clearnace to the 60-2 tooth wheel behind the harmonic balancer. Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Default maybe some help

For the tubing-
    I tried to buy a replacement, but the stealer didn't have one- I think it's 6mm (?) hose and I just used some new fuel line hose (6mm) and routed it so that the curve would not kink- it goes to the breather valve mounted to the intake manifold bracket

one of these (the smaller) is attached on the lower side of the starter- I think this was an 8mm nut
    the other should attach to the top side and should be a 10mm nut.
    They should not be interchangable due to the hole diameters on the electrical crimped terminals- (the larger hole will fit over the smaller terminal on starter, but not the smaller over the larger)

sounds like you're close and almost finished-
    good luck
    Chip
    '92 535i 5sp
    EAT chip, Sachs kit, RRT sport control and upper thrust arms, SS brakelines, Camber plates, Subframe inserts, 3.64 Diff, M5 (3.6L) calipers.
    '87 325iS

My breather hose on my 89 535i came off a few months ago, after a start up back fire. I bought a new one and had it ready if it ever came off again. Well today, the car backfired on start up, and blew the hose completley in half!! I have replaced the hose, but the small hose that goes to the intake, broke due to being old an brittle. I'm just wandering why the car is backfiring out the valve cover, or out the throttle body?
    89 535I
    89 volvo 240
    78 Pontiac Trans Am, 6.6

3 probable causes spring to mind- leaky injectors maybe... they need cleaning every 5 years or so really- there is more crap in fuel than that which meets the filter.

Plug gaps are worn/bad.

A plug is not tight, so air leaks in and fuel mixture and fresh air make it back into the intake after shutdown.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

I changed the plugs after the first time it did this. I did have a plug work itself out recently. I will have to go back and make sure they're all tight. Judging how the previous owner maintained this car, I can guarantee the fuel injectors have never been cleaned. Is it just a matter of pulling them the intake, and getting some cleaner, or do they professionally need to be done?
    89 535I
    89 volvo 240
    78 Pontiac Trans Am, 6.6